Natural frequencies - theoretical vs COSMOS results

In summary, the conversation is about a new member of a forum seeking help with a cantilever beam problem. They have obtained first five natural frequencies from COSMOSWorks 2007, but the values differ from their hand calculations. They are seeking help in understanding why there is a difference and mention using a formula for hand calculation. Another member suggests they may be off by a factor of 2π and provides a link to a paper that could help. Another member suggests checking the height of the beam, which is confirmed to be 30mm. Ultimately, the problem is solved by using a different mode constant suggested by a book.
WillySaw
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and am despreate for the solution for my current task. I am given a canteliver beam with the dimention:

L =1250mm
W= 75mm
D= 30mm
E=200 Gpa
density = 7800kg/m^3
poison ratio=0.3

and I optained the first five natural frequencies from COSMOSWorks 2007, which are 15.7483, 39.2254, 98.4208, 241.795 and 274.422Hz respectively. Looks logical isn't it? However, these values are different from the hand calculated values and I really need to find out why.

The formula I used for hand calculation:

W^2=(1.875^4)(EI/density*area*length^4)
where I = (1/12)(bt^3)

Help needed, urgent! Many thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
What was different from your hand calcs? Could you possibly be off by a factor of [tex]2\pi[/tex]?

1st frequency for example, hand calculations give 5Hz while generated value shows 15Hz. This is a huge difference, and I need to know why if it is supposed to be different.

2 pie converts rad/s to Hz, not a crucial point in this case.

What's the height of the beam?

height = depth = 30mm

I modeled up the beam in ANSYS and got the same results for the vibrational modes that you got in COSMOS.

Perhaps this paper can help, it goes through the analytical derivation of vibrational modes for a cantilever beam.

http://em-ntserver.unl.edu/Mechanics-Pages/Scott-Whitney/325hweb/Beams.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks bro, problem solved! It was due to the mode constant

Scott Whitney's suggestion
Total motion: 325Htot.scm
1st mode: 325h1st.scm
2nd mode: 325h2nd.scm
3rd mode: 325h3rd.scm
4th mode: 325h4th.scm

Book's suggestion (I tried with this and got it)
1st mode: 3.52
2nd mode: 22
3rd mode: 61.7

Last edited:

Related to Natural frequencies - theoretical vs COSMOS results

What are natural frequencies?

Natural frequencies are the frequencies at which an object or system naturally vibrates or oscillates without any external force or disturbance. They are determined by the properties and geometry of the system.

How do we calculate natural frequencies theoretically?

Natural frequencies can be calculated theoretically by using mathematical equations based on the properties and geometry of the system. These equations take into account factors such as mass, stiffness, and damping to determine the natural frequencies.

What is the difference between theoretical and COSMOS results for natural frequencies?

Theoretical results for natural frequencies are calculated using mathematical equations, while COSMOS results are obtained through computer simulations and finite element analysis. Theoretical results may provide an estimate of the natural frequencies, while COSMOS results are more accurate and can account for complex geometries and material properties.

Can we rely on COSMOS results for natural frequencies?

Yes, COSMOS results for natural frequencies are generally more accurate and reliable compared to theoretical results. However, it is important to validate the results by comparing them with experimental data.

How can natural frequencies be useful in engineering and design?

Natural frequencies are important in engineering and design as they can help identify potential resonances and dynamic instabilities in a system. By understanding the natural frequencies, engineers can design structures and systems that can withstand and minimize the effects of vibrations and oscillations.