Natural force of circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a sports car crosses the top of a hill at a certain speed. The homework questions involve determining the normal force exerted by the road on the car, the normal force exerted by the car on the driver, and the car speed at which the normal force on the driver equals zero. The solution involves considering the forces at different points in the loop and using relevant equations.
peweee17

Homework Statement

A 950kg sports car (including driver) crosses the rounded top of a hill (radius = 86.0m) at 10.0m/s.

Homework Equations

A. Determine the normal force exerted by the road on the car.
B. Determine the normal force exerted by the car on the 73.0kg driver.
C. Determine the car speed at which the normal force on the driver equals zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started to look at this problem like a loop da loop problem where there are different values of forces depeding on wether your on the top or bottom. Fn top= mg(((v^2)/rg)-1)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you, as per forum rules: what have you tried?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the natural force at play in this scenario, which is the centripetal force. This is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In this case, the centripetal force is provided by the normal force exerted by the road on the car and the car on the driver.

To determine the normal force exerted by the road on the car, I would use the equation Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the car and driver, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the hill. Plugging in the values given in the problem, I would get Fc = (950kg)(10.0m/s)^2/(86.0m) = 1105.81 N.

To determine the normal force exerted by the car on the driver, I would use the equation Fn = mg, where Fn is the normal force, m is the mass of the driver, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plugging in the values given in the problem, I would get Fn = (73.0kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 715.4 N.

To determine the car speed at which the normal force on the driver equals zero, I would set Fn = 0 in the equation Fn = mg and solve for v. This would give me v = √(rg), where r is the radius of the hill and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plugging in the given values, I would get v = √((86.0m)(9.8m/s^2)) = 29.4 m/s.

In conclusion, the natural force of circular motion in this scenario is the centripetal force, which is provided by the normal force exerted by the road on the car and the car on the driver. The normal force exerted by the road on the car is 1105.81 N, and the normal force exerted by the car on the driver is 715.4 N. The car speed at which the normal force on the driver equals zero is 29.4 m/s.

Related to Natural force of circular motion

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path. It can either be uniform circular motion, where the object travels at a constant speed, or non-uniform circular motion, where the speed changes along the path.

What is the natural force of circular motion?

The natural force of circular motion is called centripetal force. It is a force that acts towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in a circular motion. Without this force, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a combination of centripetal force and inertia. The centripetal force acts towards the center of the circle, while inertia causes the object to want to continue moving in a straight line. Together, these forces create the circular motion.

How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some examples of circular motion in nature?

There are many examples of circular motion in nature, such as the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of electrons around an atom's nucleus, the motion of a car around a roundabout, and the motion of a spinning top.