Natural deduction sets (Rules of nature deduction)

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand the principles of logic and is attempting to prove two set theory identities using natural deduction. They are seeking help and recommendations for resources on natural deduction and set theory. The link provided does not address set theory but rather a more basic form of logic.
emanoelvianna
Hello fine.

I'm studying logic and great difficulties to understand its principles, and should prove some theories involving the laws of identity of sets of mathematics using the method of natural deduction, they are:

a) A ∪ ∅ = A
b) A ∩ ∅ = ∅

I am trying as follows, but I can not solve

http://www.imagesup.net/dm-1514135726215.png

Could anyone help me solve ?!
If I could be pointed out to me some book or website to get more doubts which were to appear on deduction of sets I'd appreciate it.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you are trying to do, but the basic logic is that the empty set has no elements, so if it is the union it must be in A.

Hello, thank you by return.

I understand the theory that a set, but I need to prove it by natural deduction, this theory is known as "Natural deduction rules for theory set"

Link to example: http://tellerprimer.ucdavis.edu/pdf/1ch6.pdf

emanoelvianna said:

The usual way to do proofs about set theory identities is to use logic that involves quantifiers, such as "for each" and "there exists". ( symbolized by [itex] \forall [/itex] and [itex] \exists [/itex]). The link you gave is about using the more elementary type of logic that lacks quantifiers.

In the link you gave, [itex] A \supset B[/itex] does not mean that [itex] B [/itex] is a subset of [itex] A [/itex]. In the link, [itex]A \supset B [/itex] means "[itex] A [/itex] implies [itex] B [/itex]". The link you gave is not about set theory.

Hello,

Natural deduction is a method of reasoning in logic that is based on the principles of deduction and induction. It is commonly used in mathematics to prove theorems and establish logical relationships between statements. In order to solve the problems you have mentioned, we can use the following rules of natural deduction:

1. Identity Introduction (ID): This rule states that if we have a statement A, we can introduce a new statement A=A. This is used to prove the identity of sets.

2. Identity Elimination (IE): This rule states that if we have a statement A=A, we can eliminate the identity to obtain A. This is used to prove the equality of sets.

3. Union Introduction (UI): This rule states that if we have two statements A and B, we can introduce a new statement A∪B. This is used to prove the union of sets.

4. Union Elimination (UE): This rule states that if we have a statement A∪B, we can eliminate the union to obtain either A or B. This is used to prove that a set is a subset of another set.

5. Intersection Introduction (II): This rule states that if we have two statements A and B, we can introduce a new statement A∩B. This is used to prove the intersection of sets.

6. Intersection Elimination (IE): This rule states that if we have a statement A∩B, we can eliminate the intersection to obtain either A or B. This is used to prove that a set is a subset of another set.

Now, let's solve the problems you have mentioned using these rules:

a) A ∪ ∅ = A
Proof:
1. A∪∅ (Assumption)
2. A (UE 1)

b) A ∩ ∅ = ∅
Proof:
1. A∩∅ (Assumption)
2. A (IE 1)
3. ∅ (UE 1)

I hope this helps you understand the principles of natural deduction and how to apply them to solve problems involving sets. For further resources, I would recommend checking out textbooks on logic and set theory, as well as online resources such as Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy and Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Natural deduction sets (Rules of nature deduction)

What is natural deduction?

Natural deduction is a method of reasoning in formal logic where logical deductions are made based on a set of rules and assumptions. It is used to prove the validity of arguments and to derive conclusions from given premises.

What are the rules of natural deduction?

The rules of natural deduction are the laws and principles used to make logical deductions. These rules include the law of identity, the law of non-contradiction, and the law of excluded middle.

What is the difference between natural deduction and other methods of reasoning?

Natural deduction differs from other methods of reasoning, such as deductive or inductive reasoning, in that it follows a strict set of rules and relies on logical deductions rather than empirical evidence or probabilities.

How is natural deduction used in scientific research?

Natural deduction is used in scientific research to test the validity of hypotheses and theories. By using logical deductions based on established rules, scientists can determine if their arguments and conclusions are sound.

What are some common errors when using natural deduction?

Some common errors when using natural deduction include using incorrect or invalid rules, making assumptions that are not supported by evidence, and overlooking potential counterexamples. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double-check all steps to avoid these errors.