NASA's Stardust Mission - Interplanetary Dust Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses NASA's Stardust Mission, which collected interplanetary dust particles (IDPs). The individual is seeking scholarly articles for more extensive information on the mission and the implications of the collected dust samples. Suggestions are made to try a google search or Wikipedia article.
forestmine
NASA's Stardust Mission -- Interplanetary Dust Particles

Hello all,

I'm currently working on a research paper about IDPs, and I'd like to spend some time discussing NASA's Stardust Mission.

I'm wondering if anyone might know of some links to some scholarly articles concerning the matter? I've read NASA's release, which is rather general and brief, but I'm looking for some more extensive material on the matter.

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, all!

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you tried a google search or wikipedia's article?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_( spacecraft )

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course...a little obvious?

I'm looking for much more indepth discussion of the mission, particularly the implications of the dust samples that were gathered.

Related to NASA's Stardust Mission - Interplanetary Dust Particles

1. What is the purpose of NASA's Stardust Mission?

The purpose of NASA's Stardust Mission is to collect and study interplanetary dust particles (IDPs) from a comet's coma and bring them back to Earth for analysis.

2. How did NASA collect the interplanetary dust particles?

NASA collected the interplanetary dust particles using a spacecraft called Stardust, which flew through the coma of comet Wild 2 and used a special collector to capture the particles. The spacecraft then returned to Earth and the collector was retrieved and analyzed.

3. What have scientists learned from studying interplanetary dust particles?

Scientists have learned that interplanetary dust particles are made up of a diverse range of materials, including silicate minerals, carbon compounds, and even organic compounds. They have also provided valuable insights into the formation of our solar system and the processes that occur in comets.

4. How are interplanetary dust particles studied?

Interplanetary dust particles are studied using a variety of techniques, including scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, and spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to analyze the size, shape, and chemical composition of the particles.

5. What is the significance of the Stardust Mission?

The Stardust Mission has provided scientists with a wealth of information about the composition and origins of comets, as well as the formation of our solar system. It has also sparked further research and exploration into the fascinating world of interplanetary dust particles.