NASA Photos: Global Eruption Rocks the Sun

In summary, on December 13, 2010, scientists observed a large eruption on the sun which may have challenged previous beliefs about solar activity. This discovery may lead to the funding of a new solar observation satellite, causing excitement among some scientists and journalists. However, the need to sensationalize scientific findings and resort to questionable tactics for funding is concerning.
Naty1
"Dec. 13, 2010: On August 1, 2010, an entire hemisphere of the sun erupted. Filaments of magnetism snapped and exploded, shock waves raced across the stellar surface, billion-ton clouds of hot gas billowed into space. Astronomers knew they had witnessed something big.

It was so big, it may have shattered old ideas about solar activity..."

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/13dec_globaleruption/

Physics news on Phys.org
Naty1 said:
It was so big, it may have shattered old ideas about solar activity..."
And if I can stir up enough media hysteria we can get the go ahead for that expensive new solar observation satellite that should assure my employment for the next ten years at least. Yes! The Winebago is mine!

If I hadn't read some of Ophiolite's other posts I would have written him/her off as a troll.

Thank you Barakn. For those who haven't had the singular opportunity of reading some of my other work, here is a translation of my previous post:

Science education is inadequate in conveying a true sense of wonder about any natural event. As a consequence science journalists and even some scientists think they need to sex up their discoveries.

Worse still, to get proper funding from the guys with the purse strings, some scientists think resorting to prositution is OK.

I find this event to be incredibly fascinating and significant. The eruption of an entire hemisphere of the sun is a rare occurrence and provides us with valuable insights into the complex nature of our closest star. The fact that this eruption may have shattered old ideas about solar activity is a testament to the constantly evolving nature of scientific understanding.

The observations and data collected from this event will undoubtedly contribute to our understanding of the sun's magnetic field, its impact on the solar atmosphere, and its potential effects on Earth. This information will also be crucial in improving our ability to predict and mitigate potential hazards posed by solar activity.

Furthermore, this event highlights the importance of continued research and monitoring of the sun. As we continue to advance our technology and techniques, we will undoubtedly uncover more mysteries and gain a deeper understanding of the sun and its impact on our planet and the wider universe.

Related to NASA Photos: Global Eruption Rocks the Sun

1. What caused the global eruption on the sun?

The global eruption on the sun was caused by a sudden release of magnetic energy that had been building up in the sun's atmosphere. This is known as a solar flare or coronal mass ejection.

2. How does a global eruption on the sun affect Earth?

A global eruption on the sun can have several effects on Earth, including disrupting satellite and communication systems, causing power outages, and potentially creating auroras in the polar regions.

3. Can NASA predict when a global eruption on the sun will occur?

NASA closely monitors the sun using satellites and other instruments, and can predict when a global eruption may occur with some degree of accuracy. However, the exact timing and strength of these events are difficult to predict.

4. What precautions does NASA take to protect astronauts during a global eruption on the sun?

NASA has protocols in place to protect astronauts on the International Space Station during a global eruption on the sun. This includes sheltering in specific areas of the station and avoiding spacewalks during the event.

5. How do global eruptions on the sun contribute to space weather?

Global eruptions on the sun can send large amounts of solar material and radiation into space, which can impact Earth's magnetic field and cause disruptions in our planet's space weather. This can affect satellite operations and communication systems, as well as pose potential risks to astronauts in space.