Narrow EM wave beam - how it propagates

In summary, it seems that a beam of EM waves that is concentrated near the YZ plane will have a much smaller intensity than a beam that is spread out more evenly. It is possible to create a beam that violates Gauss' law by slightly distortion of the cube.
htg
Consider a narrow beam of EM waves that propagates in the Z direction and is concentrated near the YZ plane, so its intensity fades rapidly as we move away from the YZ plane in the X direction. Let the E field be in the X direction.
Consider a cube with edges parallel to the X, Y and Z axes, respectively. Let the cube be placed at some distance from the YZ plane, and let its side length be much smaller than the wavelength.
It seems that the flux of E through a wall closer to the YZ plane will be bigger than the flux of E through a parallel wall furter from the YZ plane, so it seems to violate the Gauss' law.
Why doesn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
htg said:
It seems that the flux of E through a wall closer to the YZ plane will be bigger than the flux of E through a parallel wall furter from the YZ plane
This is not correct, the net flux is 0 at all times.

htg said:
it seems to violate the Gauss' law.
Why doesn't it?

I think that part of the problem with this notion is the hypothetical E field. Not even a laser beam has a Poynting vector which points strictly in the z direction, without some spreading. This being the case, I don't believe that the E field, pointing strictly in the x direction, can be achieved in a real world EM wave. Indeed, it is inconsistent with Maxwell's equations, and if we believe that all instances of the electromagnetic field must be consistent with those equations, then it seems to be a non-issue. In general, all EM waves must be consistent with the wave equation, which in turn can be derived from Maxwell's equations. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I was sympathetic with the notion that Gauss' law might fail in certain cases. But I found that not to be the case with a relativistically oscillating point charge inside of various shaped surfaces.

htg said:
It seems that the flux of E through a wall closer to the YZ plane will be bigger than the flux of E through a parallel wall furter from the YZ plane, so it seems to violate the Gauss' law.
Why doesn't it?

It does violate Gauss's Law, because you constructed it so that it would. This means that it is impossible to produce this configuration of E field in practice, as far as we know.

A real beam of light in which the amplitude of the E field decreases towards zero at points away from the axis must also diverge or converge (become wider or narrower). See for example the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_beam" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though the beam diverges, it seems possible to place my cube so that two of its facets will be perpendicular to E. It still seems to violate Gauss' law.

htg said:
Even though the beam diverges, it seems possible to place my cube so that two of its facets will be perpendicular to E.
What would make you think this? If the beam diverges then by definition the field lines are not parallel to each other. If they are not parallel then it is geometrically impossible for two faces to each be perpendicular.

It is futile to try to find EM wave beams that violate Gauss Law because if they do so they violate Maxwell Equations too and thus the EM wave cannot be a wave that can be produced in real world( because we assume that all real world EM waves satisfy Maxwell's equations).

Delta² said:
It is futile to try to find EM wave beams that violate Gauss Law because if they do so they violate Maxwell Equations too and thus the EM wave cannot be a wave that can be produced in real world( because we assume that all real world EM waves satisfy Maxwell's equations).
Yes, exactly. And well said. Since Gauss' Law is one of Maxwell's equations any field which violates Gauss' Law by definition does not obey Maxwell's equations and is therefore not an electromagnetic field.

It is good to develop proper intuition. I am doing it by trying to understand why my beam will not violate the Gauss' law.

DaleSpam said:
What would make you think this? If the beam diverges then by definition the field lines are not parallel to each other. If they are not parallel then it is geometrically impossible for two faces to each be perpendicular.
You are right, but I can slightly distort my cube to make some of its edges parallel to E. If the beam intensity decreases fast enough, I would have a violation of the Gauss' law.

Related to Narrow EM wave beam - how it propagates

1. How does a narrow EM wave beam propagate in a vacuum?

A narrow EM wave beam propagates in a vacuum at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is due to the fact that in a vacuum, there are no particles or matter to slow down the propagation of the EM wave.

2. What factors affect the propagation of a narrow EM wave beam?

The propagation of a narrow EM wave beam can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength, frequency, and polarization of the wave. Other factors such as the presence of obstacles or interference can also impact the propagation of the wave.

3. How does the width of a narrow EM wave beam affect its propagation?

The narrower the width of an EM wave beam, the more concentrated and focused the energy of the wave will be. This can result in a more directional propagation of the wave, with less spreading out as it travels. However, a wider beam may be able to cover a larger area and reach more distant locations.

4. Can a narrow EM wave beam be used for communication?

Yes, narrow EM wave beams can be used for communication purposes. They can be modulated with information, such as audio or video signals, and transmitted through a medium to a receiver. This is commonly used in technologies such as radio, television, and cellular communication.

5. What are the potential applications of narrow EM wave beam propagation?

Narrow EM wave beams have a wide range of applications, including communication, radar and remote sensing, medical imaging, and scientific research. They are also used in various industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and transportation for tasks such as navigation, detection, and data transmission.