Nanoscale propulsion system that works in vacuum - or not?

In summary, an electric current is used to create a positive charge in a space-time frame, which then attracts and ejects electrons. The process of creating thrust with this device is apparently based around the photoelectric effect.
cremor
Moved this question from the quantum physics section to this section, since... Well it fits this section better since electrons apparently do obey conservation of momentum in the 'classical' sense.

Why not produce thrust in microgravity with electrons? Plenty of harnessable electricity in space.

While I'm on it, I bet you're exponentially better at solid-state physics than I am, so I have no pressure of making a fool out of myself. ;)

http://imgur.com/i9jWmFE

Imagine the crudely presented structure in 3D (a metallic torus confined within a dielectric sarcofage, with holes left in it for electric current input + the photon-electron input-output/nozzle/whatever you want to call it. A direct current is fed onto the torus (which is confined within an electrostatically-repellent dielectric structure), while electrons are expelled off the inner rim of the torus with energetic-enough photons, giving them momentum in the direction of the movement vector of the photons.

Could this kind of nanoscale device be effective (mass to thrust ratio wise) at producing thrust - or is this an obvious fluke somehow?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cremor said:
Moved this question from the quantum physics section to this section, since... Well it fits this section better since electrons apparently do obey conservation of momentum in the 'classical' sense.

Why not produce thrust in microgravity with electrons? Plenty of harnessable electricity in space.

While I'm on it, I bet you're exponentially better at solid-state physics than I am, so I have no pressure of making a fool out of myself. ;)

http://imgur.com/i9jWmFE

Imagine the crudely presented structure in 3D (a metallic torus confined within a dielectric sarcofage, with holes left in it for electric current input + the photon-electron input-output/nozzle/whatever you want to call it. A direct current is fed onto the torus (which is confined within an electrostatically-repellent dielectric structure), while electrons are expelled off the inner rim of the torus with energetic-enough photons, giving them momentum in the direction of the movement vector of the photons.

Could this kind of nanoscale device be effective (mass to thrust ratio wise) at producing thrust - or is this an obvious fluke somehow?
So far your post is not making sense to me. Where does this DC current come from? When you eject electrons, your engine becomes positively charged, and attracts the ejected electrons back. And what is the photon/electron interaction you are alluding to? The photoelectric effect?

berkeman said:
So far your post is not making sense to me. Where does this DC current come from? When you eject electrons, your engine becomes positively charged, and attracts the ejected electrons back. And what is the photon/electron interaction you are alluding to? The photoelectric effect?

DC current comes from example solar panels, and is conveyed to the torus with electrical conductors coming in through the dielectric from the sides of the torus (the outer 'rim', if you will). This should be conceivable from the sketch behind the link, the blue lines on the sides (these are electrical conductors), one of which is marked 'unidirectional flow of electrons' (so 2 dc inputs in the 2d picture, 1 from each side). Naturally, the torus would become positively charged, if there was no source that could provide a fresh supply of new electrons to replace the ejected ones.

Yes, basically photoelectric effect, although I'm not sure if it is semantically correct to use that very term in this scenario. You expel electrons with photons interacting with the electron plasma (this interaction takes place on the inner lumen of the torus, or the inside edge of the 'doughnut', if you will), providing a gradient of momentary positive charge, which is constantly neutralized with a fresh supply of electrons jumping from the DC conductors in the immediate vicinity of the outer rim of the torus. A small gap between the conductors and the torus should be ok for electrons to move over of, since there is an electrical gradient present due to the photon-electron interaction expelling electrons from the torus.

So, as clarification, the blue arrow-like shapes on the side (one dubbed unidirectional flow of electrons) bring the fresh electrons to the torus, and the ejected ones go in the direction of the green arrow (energetic photons).

cremor said:
DC current comes from example solar panels, and is conveyed to the torus with electrical conductors coming in through the dielectric from the sides of the torus (the outer 'rim', if you will). This should be conceivable from the sketch behind the link, the blue lines on the sides (these are electrical conductors), one of which is marked 'unidirectional flow of electrons' (so 2 dc inputs in the 2d picture, 1 from each side). Naturally, the torus would become positively charged, if there was no source that could provide a fresh supply of new electrons to replace the ejected ones.

Yes, basically photoelectric effect, although I'm not sure if it is semantically correct to use that very term in this scenario. You expel electrons with photons interacting with the electron plasma (this interaction takes place on the inner lumen of the torus, or the inside edge of the 'doughnut', if you will), providing a gradient of momentary positive charge, which is constantly neutralized with a fresh supply of electrons jumping from the DC conductors in the immediate vicinity of the outer rim of the torus. A small gap between the conductors and the torus should be ok for electrons to move over of, since there is an electrical gradient present due to the photon-electron interaction expelling electrons from the torus.

So, as clarification, the blue arrow-like shapes on the side (one dubbed unidirectional flow of electrons) bring the fresh electrons to the torus, and the ejected ones go in the direction of the green arrow (energetic photons).
I'm not understanding where this "fresh supply" of electrons comes from. A solar panel is a closed system -- you don't get a fresh supply of electrons from them...

berkeman said:
I'm not understanding where this "fresh supply" of electrons comes from. A solar panel is a closed system -- you don't get a fresh supply of electrons from them...

Point. An obvious fluke it is then, I was under the impression, that in a photovoltaic material the energy transfer results in excitons coupling into some kind of quantum spawning of an electron... Cursed facts!

Likes berkeman
So basically, nothing wrong with the electron-momentum idea, except that it is perfectly unfeasible at the moment because of the obvious lack of new mass in form of electrons introduced to the system. Still, it's embedded in QED theory, that energy transform can occur via photon energies shifted into particles with rest mass (I'm referring to pair production). A little bit crazy, but are there any theories of for example metamaterials that would posess the ability to make positron-electron pairs at high rate, even perhaps being able to divert them from the inevitable annihilation process for other uses (non-canonical QED theory I suppose)?

http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v8/n6/full/nphoton.2014.95.html the only thing I found.

Last edited by a moderator:
cremor said:
So basically, nothing wrong with the electron-momentum idea, except that it is perfectly unfeasible at the moment because of the obvious lack of new mass in form of electrons introduced to the system. Still, it's embedded in QED theory, that energy transform can occur via photon energies shifted into particles with rest mass (I'm referring to pair production). A little bit crazy, but are there any theories of for example metamaterials that would posess the ability to make positron-electron pairs at high rate, even perhaps being able to divert them from the inevitable annihilation process for other uses (non-canonical QED theory I suppose)?

http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v8/n6/full/nphoton.2014.95.html the only thing I found.
Have you read about how Ion Thrusters work? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I would assume that their level of optimization is more advanced than my (mis)conception. Heheh. I didn't bring them up because the need to have the physical propellant on board is obvious right off the bat.

By the way, there are concepts of solar 'sails', or charged wires spread out into space that would catch drag off cosmic particle jets. Any ideas around of using them in combination with an ion thruster? As in capture high-energy particles flowing in interstellar space and store them to be used more efficiently with an ion thruster. Are there for example a lot of free electrons, or some heavier particles in greater amounts flowing through the interstellar medium by any chance? Or does the ball bounce off the post again? ;)

cremor said:
Yes. I would assume that their level of optimization is more advanced than my (mis)conception. Heheh. I didn't bring them up because the need to have the physical propellant on board is obvious right off the bat.

By the way, there are concepts of solar 'sails', or charged wires spread out into space that would catch drag off cosmic particle jets. Any ideas around of using them in combination with an ion thruster? As in capture high-energy particles flowing in interstellar space and store them to be used more efficiently with an ion thruster. Are there for example a lot of free electrons, or some heavier particles in greater amounts flowing through the interstellar medium by any chance? Or does the ball bounce off the post again? ;)
The nearest (hypothetical) thing I can think of is a Bussard ramjet.

Related to Nanoscale propulsion system that works in vacuum - or not?

1. What is a nanoscale propulsion system?

A nanoscale propulsion system is a type of propulsion technology that is designed to operate at a very small scale, typically on the order of nanometers (10^-9 meters). It is used to move objects or particles in a specific direction, and can be powered by a variety of sources such as chemical reactions, electrical energy, or light.

2. How does a nanoscale propulsion system work in vacuum?

A nanoscale propulsion system can work in vacuum by utilizing a method called ion propulsion. This involves using electric fields to accelerate ions, which then generate thrust and propel the system forward. Since vacuum lacks air resistance, this type of propulsion can be very efficient and effective for small-scale objects.

3. Can a nanoscale propulsion system work in any type of vacuum?

No, a nanoscale propulsion system may not work in all types of vacuum. It is designed to work in a high-quality vacuum, which means a space with a very low gas pressure. If the vacuum is not of high quality, there may be residual gas molecules that could interfere with the propulsion system and reduce its efficiency.

4. What are the potential applications of a nanoscale propulsion system?

A nanoscale propulsion system has a wide range of potential applications, including in space exploration, nanorobotics, and drug delivery systems. It can also be used in microfluidic devices to control and manipulate small particles or fluids.

5. Are there any limitations to nanoscale propulsion systems?

Yes, there are some limitations to nanoscale propulsion systems. One major limitation is the amount of thrust that can be generated, which is relatively small compared to larger propulsion systems. This can limit the speed and distance that can be achieved. Additionally, the size and complexity of these systems can also be a limiting factor in their practical applications.