Nanobes too small to be living organism

• Thread starter jnorman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Organism
In summary, the topic of nanobes has sparked a lot of debate and confusion. Initially thought to be too small to be living organisms, research has shown that they exhibit life-like behavior and have been found in the oldest rocks on Earth and in martian meteorites. However, there is still no conclusive evidence of RNA/DNA or self-replication, leaving the idea of panspermia up for debate. The question remains if the martian rovers are conducting any experiments to identify nanobes in martian rocks and if there is solid scientific support for their existence. Despite its intriguing nature, there seems to be limited information and research on nanobes.
jnorman
i did a search, but found no threads on this topic. i am sure all of you are aware of nanobes, but i have some confusion. when i first read about nanobes, they were a minor mystery, and while there was some debate over their nature, it was generally agreed upon that they were too small to be living organisms. a few years later, it turns out that some research indicated that they do exhibit life-like behavior. and they show up in the oldest rocks on the planet, as well as from deep sea corings. then later again, it was shown that nanobes were present in a martian meteorite - possible evidence of panspermia, yes?

my question - are the martian rovers doing any experiements that would identify nanobes in the martian rocks? is there solid scientific support for the idea that nanobes are living organisms (ie, is there conclusive evidence of RNA/DNA, or self-replication?? if so, why didnt the evidence of nanobes in the martian meteorite demonstrate that panspermia was a real occurrence? other thoughts? thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
bump:
my goodness - nobody here is interested in, nor knows anything about nanobes? i would think this would be an intriguing topic for biologists and evolutionists.

Nanobes, did they really find hard evidence on those? I thought the ones found in the martian meteorites were in fact salt crystals.

hi monique - that is a good question. i googled "nanobes meteorite" and got lots of solid hits, but could not confirm with a few minutes browsing. but that is sort of why i brought this question to this forum. thanks for responding. it seems to be a pretty fascinating little subject.

Related to Nanobes too small to be living organism

1. What are nanobes?

Nanobes are tiny structures that were first discovered in 1996 by geologist Robert Folk. They are smaller than bacteria and are thought to be too small to be living organisms.

2. Are nanobes considered living organisms?

There is still much debate and research surrounding this question. Some scientists argue that nanobes have some characteristics of living organisms, such as growth and reproduction, while others argue that they are simply mineral formations.

3. How small are nanobes?

Nanobes are typically between 20 and 150 nanometers in size, making them significantly smaller than bacteria and other microorganisms.

4. Can nanobes be found in nature?

Yes, nanobes have been found in various natural environments such as hot springs, deep-sea vents, and even in human tissue samples. However, their true nature and origin are still unknown.

5. What is the significance of nanobes?

Nanobes are significant because they challenge our understanding of life and its definition. If they are proven to be living organisms, it would expand our understanding of the diversity of life on Earth. If not, it could still provide insights into the formation of minerals and the role they play in our environment.