Naming Cyclic Organic Compound

In summary, the isomer of C2H4O that is a triangular ring with C at two vertices and O at the third is called ethylene oxide. The other 10 isomers are all named after the functional group on the molecule that is opposite to the oxygen atom.
jmm
Hey,

How would I name (IUPAC) the isomer of C2H4O that is a triangular ring with C at two vertices and O at the third?

Also, I'm trying to name the 11 isomers of C3H6O. So far I have 10 and I can't seem to get the last one. The ones I have are:

propanal
propan-2-one
prop-2-en-1-ol
prop-1-en-2-ol
(Z)-prop-1-en-1-ol
(E)-prop-1-en-1-ol
methoxyethene
cyclopropanol
and two rings like the one I described above with O at a vertex

I hope those names are right but please tell me if they don't make sense and I'll try another one.

Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
nichrome` said:
You mean ethylene oxide?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_oxide <---look at pic :)

And sorry, I can't think of that other isomer you seemed to have covered all the functional groups i could think of :P

Yeah I do mean ethylene oxide. I noticed that the IUPAC name is oxirane. Is there a systematic way of naming these or is it just a compound with an arbitrary name?

The last one's not really a big issue. It was for an assignment I had earlier but the structure of all 11 isomers was kind of irrelevant to the actual question. Thanks for the try though :)

Edit: I just found this, regarding the naming of cyclic ethers:
http://academicearth.org/lectures/cyclic-ethers-and-epoxide-naming

jmm said:
Hey,

How would I name (IUPAC) the isomer of C2H4O that is a triangular ring with C at two vertices and O at the third?

Also, I'm trying to name the 11 isomers of C3H6O. So far I have 10 and I can't seem to get the last one. The ones I have are:

(list snipped)
and two rings like the one I described above with O at a vertex

I hope those names are right but please tell me if they don't make sense and I'll try another one.

Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks!

What two ring structures do you have? I can draw three here.

I have cyclopropanol and I guess the other two might be called 1,3-epoxypropane and 1,2-epoxypropane.

jmm said:
I have cyclopropanol and I guess the other two might be called 1,3-epoxypropane and 1,2-epoxypropane.

OK, look at the 1,2-epoxypropane one, or better make a model of it. Now look at the mirror image...

Oh so they're enantiomers? So you'd have (R)-1,2-epoxypropane and (S)-1,2-epoxypropane?

Yes, that would be my take on the answer

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Related to Naming Cyclic Organic Compound

1. What is a cyclic organic compound?

A cyclic organic compound is a type of chemical compound that contains a ring structure made up of carbon atoms. The ring can be either saturated (only single bonds) or unsaturated (containing at least one double or triple bond).

2. How do you name a cyclic organic compound?

The naming of cyclic organic compounds follows the same rules as other organic compounds, with a few additional considerations. The ring is indicated by the prefix cyclo- and the number of carbon atoms in the ring is used as a prefix in the name. If the ring contains substituents, they are named and numbered according to their position on the ring.

3. What are some common types of cyclic organic compounds?

Some common types of cyclic organic compounds include cycloalkanes, which are saturated rings, and cycloalkenes and cycloalkynes, which are unsaturated rings. Other examples include aromatics, such as benzene, and heterocycles, which contain one or more non-carbon atoms in the ring structure.

4. What is the importance of naming cyclic organic compounds?

Naming cyclic organic compounds is important because it allows scientists to accurately and efficiently communicate information about the structure and properties of a compound. This is crucial for understanding its behavior and potential applications in various fields, such as medicine, agriculture, and materials science.

5. Are there any exceptions to the naming rules for cyclic organic compounds?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the naming rules for cyclic organic compounds. For example, smaller rings with three or four carbon atoms are often named using common names, such as cyclopropane and cyclobutane. Additionally, if the ring contains multiple substituents, a special prefix, such as di- or tri-, may be used to indicate the number of each substituent.