Name of some special functions

In summary, the conversation discusses various functions in the context of Control Theory, specifically the Laplace transform and its role in transfer functions. The functions Y(σ), H(σ), X(σ), Y(iω), X(iω), Y(s), X(s) are mentioned and their potential names are debated, with H(σ) potentially being referred to as the "exponential response". However, without further context, it is difficult to definitively name these functions.
Jhenrique
I'd like of know if the following functions have name: Y(σ), H(σ) X(σ), Y(iω), X(iω), Y(s), X(s).

PS, I suppose that H(σ) must be the "exponential response"...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a context for these? They can be called whatever you'd like to call them without context.

Y and H are usually types of Bessel functions, but I don't recognize X as a standard notation for anything.

Without some context we can't give any definitive answers. H is also used for the Heaviside step function. Y(s) is used for the Laplace transform of some function y(t). Same for X(s), but in this context, x, y, X, and Y are just function names with no special meaning.

Jhenrique said:
I'd like of know if the following functions have name: Y(σ), H(σ) X(σ), Y(iω), X(iω), Y(s), X(s).

PS, I suppose that H(σ) must be the "exponential response"...
Those are all defined in the first page you cite. "X" is the Laplace transform of whatever "input function" you have and "Y" is the Laplace transform of its "output function". H is the ratio [itex]\frac{Y}{X}[/itex].

Not always those functions has the same name, for example, h(t) = "impulse function", H(s) = "transfer function" and H(iω) = "frequency response". For this I asked if the functions in my first post have special names...

Related to Name of some special functions

1. What is the purpose of "Name of some special function"?

"Name of some special function" is a mathematical function that has a specific purpose or behavior. It is often used to solve complex problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is "Name of some special function" different from other functions?

"Name of some special function" is different from other functions in that it has unique properties and behaviors that make it useful for specific applications. It may also have a special notation or form that sets it apart from other functions.

3. What are the common applications of "Name of some special function"?

"Name of some special function" has many applications in different fields. For example, it can be used to model growth or decay in biology, calculate probabilities in statistics, or solve differential equations in physics and engineering.

4. How is "Name of some special function" related to other mathematical concepts?

"Name of some special function" is often related to other mathematical concepts such as series, integrals, and derivatives. It may also have connections to other special functions or be expressed in terms of them.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using "Name of some special function"?

Like any other mathematical function, there may be certain limitations or restrictions when using "Name of some special function" depending on the context. For example, it may only be applicable to certain types of inputs or have a limited range of values for which it is defined.