Name of Norm-preserving Linear Transformations?

In summary, a norm-preserving linear transformation is a mathematical function that maintains the size and shape of a vector. This is important because it preserves the relative distance between points in the vector space, making it useful in applications such as geometry, physics, and data analysis. To determine if a linear transformation is norm-preserving, its matrix representation must be orthogonal with a determinant of 1 or -1. Non-linear transformations cannot be norm-preserving. In real-world applications, a norm-preserving linear transformation is used in computer graphics, image processing, signal processing, and machine learning to rotate, scale, correct distortions, filter noise, and normalize data.
Tac-Tics
What is the common name for norm-preserving linear transformations in a normed linear space? I want to say they are the unitary transformations, but I'm just fuzzy enough not to know a good way of proving it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear isometries.

morphism said:
Linear isometries.

Thanks! This led me to wikipedia's page which had the equally helpful statement:

"The isometric linear maps from Cn to itself are the unitary matrices."

It's good to see my mathematical intuition is in tact after I've been thinking about physics lately =-D

Related to Name of Norm-preserving Linear Transformations?

1. What is a norm-preserving linear transformation?

A norm-preserving linear transformation is a mathematical function that preserves the size and shape of a vector. This means that the length (or magnitude) of the vector before and after the transformation remains the same. In other words, the transformation does not stretch or shrink the vector, but only rotates or reflects it.

2. Why is preserving the norm important in linear transformations?

Preserving the norm is important because it ensures that the transformation does not change the relative distance between points in the vector space. This is especially useful in applications such as geometry, physics, and data analysis, where maintaining the original scale and proportions of the data is necessary for accurate results.

3. How do you determine if a linear transformation is norm-preserving?

A linear transformation is norm-preserving if and only if its matrix representation is orthogonal. This means that the columns of the matrix are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and have a norm of 1. Additionally, the determinant of the matrix must be either 1 or -1.

4. Can a non-linear transformation be norm-preserving?

No, a non-linear transformation cannot be norm-preserving. This is because a non-linear transformation does not follow the rules of linearity, which include preserving the norm. Only linear transformations can be norm-preserving.

5. How is a norm-preserving linear transformation used in real-world applications?

A norm-preserving linear transformation has many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, image processing, signal processing, and machine learning. In computer graphics, it is used to rotate and scale objects without distorting their shape. In image processing, it can be used to correct for perspective distortions. In signal processing, it is used to filter out noise while preserving the original signal. In machine learning, it is used to transform and normalize data before training a model.