Naked Singularities and the predictibilty problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of naked singularities in Einstein's solution and their implications for future predictability and the laws of physics. The weak conjecture states that all singularities are hidden within black holes, while the strong conjecture suggests that no visible singularities can exist. The conversation also touches on the question of what kind of future prediction is meant by this and the potential consequences of naked singularities for future events.
Huma waseem

Homework Statement

i have a problem about the naked singularities which are appeared in einstine' s solution and mathematically possible ... in that i have readed that for the weak conjecture states (by the penrose and hawking singularity theorems ) that all singularities in gravitational collapse are hidden within black holes.This conjecture implies that FUTURE PREDICTIBILTY of space time outside the event horizon.The Strong conjecture asserts that no singularity visible to any observer can exist.

Homework Equations

my question is that what kind of future predictibility is meant here and why it is violating the laws of physics?and i have readed that physics will loose its prediction power...If naked sigularity exist?please help me in finding out solution of such a question which is completely beyond my thinking power.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please help me in finding out such a question which is completely beyond my thinking power.

if we found you a question above your thinking power. what use will it be to you ...if you won't understand it (as you say u want a queiton above your thinking power)?

imy786 said:
please help me in finding out such a question which is completely beyond my thinking power.

if we found you a question above your thinking power. what use will it be to you ...if you won't understand it (as you say u want a queiton above your thinking power)?

Sorry ! there was mistake in my post.Now Help me to find out the solution of it Plz if you can

The idea is that when a singularity is hidden behind an event horizon, such as is the case in the Schwarzschild solution, it cannot possibly influence anything that happens in the future of a region outside the event horizon.

However in cases where the gravitational collapse is non-spherical it is not proven but only conjectured that the singularity is still hidden. If it is not hidden then there is no future asymptotically predictable region.

yes ! but i want to know what kind of future prediction is meant here?either of the age of the collapsing star or what?
Also if we can see from the distance in the naked singularities why it is suggested that the physics will loose its prediction power?i know when it is suggested but what is the basic reason to conjecture about it?

Huma waseem said:
yes ! but i want to know what kind of future prediction is meant here?either of the age of the collapsing star or what?
Also if we can see from the distance in the naked singularities why it is suggested that the physics will loose its prediction power?i know when it is suggested but what is the basic reason to conjecture about it?

We can't perdict what will come out of a naked singularity, maybe atomic bombs, electromagnetic energy, 17 million clones of Britney Spears, etc.

Such things can wreck havoc with any event in the future of the naked singularity.

THANKS FOR HELP
George Jones said:
We can't perdict what will come out of a naked singularity, maybe atomic bombs, electromagnetic energy, 17 million clones of Britney Spears, etc.

Such things can wreck havoc with any event in the future of the naked singularity.

Related to Naked Singularities and the predictibilty problem

1. What is a naked singularity?

A naked singularity is a hypothetical point in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that it distorts the fabric of space and time. This distortion results in a point where the laws of physics break down, making it impossible to predict the future of any object or event near the singularity.

2. How are naked singularities different from black holes?

Naked singularities and black holes are both extremely dense points in space with strong gravitational pull. However, a black hole is surrounded by an event horizon, which is a boundary beyond which nothing, not even light, can escape. A naked singularity, on the other hand, has no event horizon and is visible to observers outside of it.

3. Are naked singularities real or just theoretical concepts?

Naked singularities are currently considered to be hypothetical and have not been observed in nature. However, there are some theoretical scenarios where they could potentially exist, such as in the early universe or in the center of rotating black holes.

4. What is the predictability problem in relation to naked singularities?

The predictability problem refers to the inability to accurately predict the future of events or objects near a naked singularity. This is due to the breakdown of the laws of physics at the singularity, making it impossible to make reliable predictions.

5. How do naked singularities affect our understanding of the universe?

Naked singularities challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of space and time. They also have implications for our understanding of the beginning and end of the universe, as well as the potential existence of other universes beyond our own.