NAI(Thallium doped) Scintillator Calibration?

In summary, the conversation discusses a task in intermediate Lab II where the students are manually calibrating a NA-I Scintillator doped with Thallium to determine the isotope composition of an unknown source. The students have been struggling with finding a solution and are seeking help from others. They mention having 7 known sources to assist them but do not provide further details. The conversation also includes advice on how to ask for help effectively and a reminder that the question should not be a coursework question.
Monsoon
I'm currently taking intermediate Lab II (Physics 414) and we're currently working on Gamma Ray Spectroscopy. We are tasked with manually calibrating a NA-I Scintillator doped with Thallium in order to determine the isotope composition of an unknown source. My partner and I have been thinking for a few days and it seems that everything we come up with is wrong, and google has been of little help this time around. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?

edit: we have 7 known sources to assist us... (Co60, Ba133, Cs137, Na22, Mn54, Cd109, Co57)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty hard to help you if you haven't even said what you have done, showing spectra and so on. And this is probably a "too big" task to ask for help here, I mean it takes some time to through all possible peaks from your candidates etc.

So first: specify the question, the more general you are, the less probable it is that someone will answer.

Second: this is a coursework question and should not belong here.

I am telling you all this since you are new here.

Think about why you have 7 known sources.

Related to NAI(Thallium doped) Scintillator Calibration?

1. What is a NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator?

A NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator is a type of inorganic crystal that is used to detect and measure ionizing radiation, such as gamma rays and X-rays. It is doped with thallium, which allows it to emit light when struck by radiation.

2. What is the purpose of calibrating a NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator?

The purpose of calibrating a NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator is to establish a relationship between the intensity of the light emitted by the scintillator and the amount of radiation that it is exposed to. This allows for accurate and precise measurements of radiation levels.

3. How is a NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator calibrated?

A NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator is typically calibrated using a known source of radiation, such as a standard gamma ray source. The scintillator is exposed to the source and the resulting light output is measured and compared to the known radiation level. This process is repeated at different radiation levels to create a calibration curve.

4. What factors can affect the calibration of a NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator?

Several factors can affect the calibration of a NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator, including temperature, humidity, and aging of the scintillator crystal. It is important to control these factors and regularly recalibrate the scintillator to ensure accurate measurements.

5. Why is it important to use a NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator with proper calibration?

Using a NAI(Thallium doped) scintillator with proper calibration is crucial for obtaining accurate and reliable measurements of radiation levels. Improper calibration can lead to incorrect readings and potentially dangerous exposure to radiation. It is also important for compliance with regulatory requirements and ensuring the safety of individuals working with radiation.

Back