Nabla operator and working with it

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the ∇ operator as a vector and how to derive the formula ∇×(A×B)=(B.∇)A-(A.∇)B+A(∇.B)-B(∇.A) through the use of vector identities and the summation convention. There is a distinction made between ∇ and true vectors, and the conversation ends with a discussion on the usefulness of remembering the derivation for future use.
jink
While using the ∇ operator, most of the times we can treat it as a vector. I came across a few formulae(basically product rules)..
Code:
∇×([B]A[/B]×[B]B[/B])=([B]B[/B].∇)[B]A[/B]-([B]A[/B].∇)[B]B[/B]+[B]A[/B](∇.[B]B[/B])-[B]B[/B](∇.[B]A[/B])
where A and B are vectors

I wanted to know if there is any direct way of deriving it. By direct I mean assuming the basic vector identity
Code:
[B]C[/B]×([B]B[/B]×[B]A[/B])=[B]B[/B]([B]C[/B].[B]A[/B])-[B]A[/B]([B]C[/B].[B]B[/B])
. Any other better way is also fine. I derived it by splitting each of the vectors A, B, and ∇(although this is not truly a vector) in their orthogonal components and then doing the appropriate cross products.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to derive these results is to use summation convention. Everything drops out quite nicely.

The vector identity you've stated is also derived in the same way but you'll notice the subtleties of the fact that you're dealing with an operator when doing the derivation.

Likes 1 person
The best way to derive these results is to use summation convention
Thanks for the idea. I have never really used summation notation, always expanded terms and got my way through. Will try summation from now on.

but you'll notice the subtleties of the fact that you're dealing with an operator when doing the derivation
I realized one thing that ∇.A=A.∇ doesn't hold in this case while it holds with vectors.

The vector identity you've stated is also derived in the same way
yeah that's fine, I just wanted to think if there is any result which we can exploit using the fact that ∇ behaves as a vector(well, almost). I was just worried that incase I forget the long identity, and I want to use it, I won't be able to derive it quickly.

I realized one thing that ∇.A=A.∇ doesn't hold in this case while it holds with vectors.That's because Del isn't really a vector; it's a set of operators which work on vectors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del

Yeah right.

Related to Nabla operator and working with it

1. What is the Nabla operator and what does it represent?

The Nabla operator, denoted as ∇, is a mathematical symbol used in vector calculus to represent a vector differential operator. It is used to indicate the direction and magnitude of change in a vector field.

2. How is the Nabla operator used in gradient, divergence, and curl calculations?

In gradient calculations, the Nabla operator is used to calculate the rate of change of a scalar field in a particular direction. In divergence calculations, it is used to determine the net flow of a vector field out of a given point. In curl calculations, it is used to determine the rotation or circulation of a vector field around a given point.

3. What are some applications of the Nabla operator in science and engineering?

The Nabla operator has many applications in various fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It can be used to model the flow of fluids, analyze electric and magnetic fields, and solve differential equations in quantum mechanics.

4. How can I use the Nabla operator in my research or experiments?

If you are working in a field that deals with vector calculus, you can use the Nabla operator to calculate gradients, divergences, and curls in your equations. It can also be used to simplify complex equations and make them more manageable.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when working with the Nabla operator?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the Nabla operator to each term in a vector equation. Another mistake is not considering the order of operations, as applying the Nabla operator can produce different results depending on the order in which it is applied. It is also essential to be familiar with vector calculus rules and properties to avoid errors.