N.Solve Brachistochrone Homework: Find Time T to Slide Down from Height 0 to -h

In summary, the conversation is about finding an expression for the time it takes for an object to slide down a brachistochrone curve from a height of zero to a negative height of h. The equation for T is given, as well as equations for x and y that were derived using Euler-Lagrange equations. The question is then posed on how to solve a specific integral in order to find a solution for T. One person suggests using a table of integrals to solve it.
T-7

Homework Statement

I am after an expression for the time T it takes to slide down from height zero to -h of the brachistochrone. (Starts from x=y=0, slides along a distance -x, descends a height -h).

Homework Equations

I have deduced that

[tex] T = \frac{1}{(2g)^{1/2}} \int _{0}^{-h} \frac{(x^{\prime}^{2}+1)^{1/2}}{(-y)^{1/2}} dy
[/tex]

Along the way, I have shown (using Euler-Lagrange Eqns) that

[tex]
\frac{x^{\prime}}{(-y)^{1/2}(1+x^{\prime 2})^{1/2}} = const = \frac{1}{\eta^{1/2}}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
x^{\prime} = - \frac{y^{1/2}}{(\eta-y)^{1/2}} =>
x = - \int \frac{y^{1/2}}{(\eta-y)^{1/2}} dy
[/tex]

and, after a horrid bit of integration:

[tex]
x(\theta) = -\frac{\eta}{2}(\theta - sin\theta),
y(\theta) = -\frac{\eta}{2}(1 - cos\theta)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The question suggests I combine the result

[tex]
\frac{x^{\prime}}{(-y)^{1/2}(1+x^{\prime 2})^{1/2}} = const = \frac{1}{\eta^{1/2}}
[/tex]

with [tex]\eta = h[/tex]

with the equation I derived for T

[tex] T = \frac{1}{(2g)^{1/2}} \int _{0}^{-h} \frac{(x^{\prime}^{2}+1)^{1/2}}{(-y)^{1/2}} dy
[/tex]

(I presume that I have got this equation for T correct?)

On doing so, I simplified the integral to

[tex] T = \frac{1}{(2gh)^{1/2}} \int _{0}^{-h} \frac{(x^{\prime}^{2}+1)}{x^{\prime}} dy
[/tex]

which, using [tex]x^{\prime} = - \frac{y^{1/2}}{(\eta-y)^{1/2}}[/tex] I boiled down to

[tex] T = \frac{h}{(2gh)^{1/2}} \int _{0}^{-h} \frac{1}{y^{1/2}(h-y)^{1/2}} dy
[/tex]

I am at a loss to know how to solve this integral (assuming I've got it right so far, and need to solve it!).

Could anyone suggest the next move to make? This is frustrating!

Cheers,

Physics news on Phys.org
T-7

I did not check your calculations, but assumed they were correct up to the end. The integral you have can be recast in the form of dx/sqrt(ax**2 + bx + c) by bringing the sqrt(y) into the right hand radical sign. Integrals of this form are listed in Gradshteyn and Ryzhik's "Table of Integrals and Series". All that you need to do is set the trinomial coefficients equal to those in your last equation with c=0.

Jeff

Related to N.Solve Brachistochrone Homework: Find Time T to Slide Down from Height 0 to -h

What is the Brachistochrone problem?

The Brachistochrone problem is a mathematical optimization problem that asks for the curve of fastest descent between two points in a gravitational field. In other words, it is the problem of finding the path that a particle will take to move from one point to another in the shortest amount of time, under the influence of gravity.

What is the N.Solve function used for in the Brachistochrone problem?

The N.Solve function is used to numerically solve the Brachistochrone problem. It is a mathematical algorithm that uses a combination of iterative methods and approximations to find the solution.

How do you use the N.Solve function to find the time T to slide down from height 0 to -h?

To use the N.Solve function to find the time T, you first need to set up the problem as a function of time. This involves defining the variables, parameters, and equations that describe the motion of the particle. Once the function is set up, you can use the N.Solve function to find the value of T that minimizes the function.

What are the key assumptions made in the Brachistochrone problem?

The Brachistochrone problem makes several key assumptions, including: the particle is moving in a vacuum, the particle is subject to gravity only, the particle has no initial velocity, and the particle is moving in a two-dimensional plane. These assumptions simplify the problem and allow for a more straightforward solution.

How does the Brachistochrone problem relate to real-world applications?

The Brachistochrone problem has many real-world applications, such as in the design of roller coasters, water slides, and ski slopes. It is also used in the field of optics to design the most efficient path for light to travel between two points. Additionally, the principles of the Brachistochrone problem are applied in fields like physics, engineering, and mathematics to optimize various processes and systems.