Mystery Gear: Sodium Lamp + Tuning Fork Jig

• Thread starter marcarli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, the conversation is about the discovery of two items in a lab, one being a sodium lamp and the other a rack with a tuning fork attached. The participants discuss the characteristics and potential uses of these items, with one person jokingly referring to the tuning fork as a "doomsday device." Ultimately, the conversation ends with the discovery that the red glow inside the metal tube of the sodium lamp is just a heater and the lamp actually emits a warm yellow glow once fully warmed up. The thread is marked as solved with thanks to the person who helped identify the items.
marcarli
I have found these. gathering dust on the shelf in the lab. pictures are attached. first item is some sort of lamp that glows red inside a metal tube. the second item is a rack with a tuning fork clamped to it with at sharp metal prong attached to one of the tuning fork tines anybody out there know what these things are?

Figured out my first item is a sodium lamp. How about the weird tuning fork jig?

Attachments

• IMG_0001-002.jpg
    IMG_0001-002.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0002-002.jpg
    IMG_0002-002.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0003-001.jpg
    IMG_0003-001.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stay away from my doomsday device!

The first one looks like a mercury lamp. Though, they tend to glow yellowish blue, if that makes any sense. Sodium lamp would also fit. They are more orange. Could fit the "red" glow you describe. I suppose, it could be any number of other elements as well, but these two are most common in labs.

Thanks, you could be right. There is a clip to put some sort of slide over the square opening I suppose. Maybe a diffraction grating? The lamp is very dim and takes a few seconds to warm up and is definitely reddish almost like a tiny toaster element inside a bulb.

I let the thing warm up and it looks like the red coil is only the heater. After about 5 min it is now a nice warm yellow glow in the whole tube. It must be a sodium lamp! Thanks again. I just didn't leave it on long enough, kind of afraid it might blow up though. It looks pretty cool!

Mark

Related to Mystery Gear: Sodium Lamp + Tuning Fork Jig

What is Mystery Gear: Sodium Lamp + Tuning Fork Jig?

Mystery Gear: Sodium Lamp + Tuning Fork Jig is a scientific instrument that combines a sodium lamp and a tuning fork jig to study sound and light phenomena.

How does the sodium lamp work?

The sodium lamp works by passing an electric current through a tube filled with sodium vapor. The energy from the current excites the sodium atoms, causing them to emit yellow-orange light.

What is the purpose of the tuning fork jig?

The purpose of the tuning fork jig is to produce a consistent sound frequency that can be used to study the interaction between sound and light waves produced by the sodium lamp.

What can be learned from using Mystery Gear: Sodium Lamp + Tuning Fork Jig?

Using this instrument, scientists can learn about the properties of sound and light waves, such as frequency, amplitude, and interference. They can also study how these waves interact with each other and their surroundings.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using this instrument?

Yes, it is important to handle the sodium lamp with caution as it contains toxic chemicals. Protective gear and proper ventilation should be used when handling the lamp. The tuning fork jig should also be handled carefully to avoid damage or injury.