MySQL upgrade Sunday, 30min downtime

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the database system will be upgraded this Sunday August 5th around 11pm CST with an expected downtime of no more than 30 minutes. After the upgrade, the forum should be even more stable and efficient. There was a previous outage of about 5 hours, but the planned upgrade was cancelled due to broadband issues. However, the upgrade was eventually completed at 11:30pm CST with a few small outages today for further tweaks.
We're going to be upgrading our database system this Sunday August 5th around 11pm CST. I would expect there to be no more than 30min downtime. Afterwards PF should be even more stable and efficient. That's all, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg was the forum down like maybe roughly 9 hours ago as I tried to get on at about 12:15GMT and Chrome kept on saying request timed out?

rollcast said:
Greg was the forum down like maybe roughly 9 hours ago as I tried to get on at about 12:15GMT and Chrome kept on saying request timed out?

ah yes, for about 5 hours, sorry about that.

Upgrade went a little longer than planned. There will be several small (1min) outages today as I tweak a few things.

Related to MySQL upgrade Sunday, 30min downtime

1. What is MySQL?

MySQL is an open-source relational database management system that is used to store and manage data for websites and applications.

2. Why is there a scheduled upgrade for MySQL?

The scheduled upgrade for MySQL is necessary in order to improve the performance, security, and functionality of the database. It may also include bug fixes and new features.

3. How long will the MySQL upgrade take?

The MySQL upgrade is estimated to take 30 minutes. However, this may vary depending on the size and complexity of the database, as well as any unexpected issues that may arise during the upgrade process.

4. Will my data be affected during the upgrade?

In most cases, your data should not be affected during the upgrade process. However, it is always recommended to backup your data before any major changes are made to the database.

5. Can I access the database during the upgrade?

No, the database will be temporarily unavailable during the upgrade process. It is recommended to plan accordingly and avoid making any changes to the database during this time.