Who writes Sci Fi? Who tries or would like to?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Beren,You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:Boy, I wish I was a good story teller. I have had some great ideas but I just can't write an interesting story. I am too analytical in my approach.Here's one little idea that struck me the other day. What would life be like if we had three sexes? How could this happen?Also, tell us about your best ideas.What I write is more from the horror and

Writing Sci Fi

• I've been published

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I write but have never been published

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I write for fun only

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I try to write at times but without much success

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I try but I stink

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have no interest or desire

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am wondering how many of you would like to write Sci Fi. Boy, I wish I was a good story teller. I have had some great ideas but I just can't write an intersting story. I am too analytical in my approach.

Here's one little idea that struck me the other day. What would life be like if we had three sexes. How could this happen?

Also, tell us about your best ideas.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What I write is more from the horror and Ghost story genre then Sci Fi. I have written and sent stories to magazines, but with no success in the Sci Fi / Horror market. I have however published a one act play.

Sorry, can't (won't) tell you my ideas. No offense. I may still get one published.

I've got an idea for a straight Sci Fi novel that I have worked on from time to time, but there are some plot points I've gotten stuck on. Maybe someday I'll get it working and finish it.

Originally posted by Artman
Sorry, can't (won't) tell you my ideas. No offense. I may still get one published.

Of course, no serious writer wants to give away his or her ideas.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Here's one little idea that struck me the other day. What would life be like if we had three sexes.

Try Isaac Asimov - Gods themselves

PS: never tried, never want to

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Of course, no serious writer wants to give away his or her ideas.

Don't know how serious I am. Humor is one of my favorite writing styles :smile: (hard to work that into horror stories though ).

I'm sure I'd be one of your customers artman, I'm a big horror fan. I've read the foundation series, but that was so long ago (like almost 20 years) that I've forgotten them mostly. I do remember them being excellent books though, and it was one of my first forrays into sci-fi-the foundation series.

I've considered writing a book for sometime now. I toyed with horror quite a bit, some sci-fi but never really had anything that seemed profound enough to me, to send into a publisher. Writing is difficult, even if you're good with language. Haven't given up yet though.

I don't think you'll get many ideas posted other than whimsical off the cuff ideas. You're right- serious writers won't divulge their secets:wink:

Ivan,

The three sexes idea was also
recently part of the plot of an
episode of Enterprise.

The thing is, ideas don't make
a book or story good. It's all
in the writing. That is so much
the case that great books can
be written around some very
mediocre ideas.

It's not clear to me what you
mean when you say your writing
is too analytical because I haven't read anthing like a story
from you, but your posts are
extremely well written and read-
able and betray a sensitive ob-
server of things.

Good writing evokes sensory re-
sponses not abstract thinking,
it has atmosphere, and texture.
In the hands of a good writer
any idea or plot, however old,
will be presented to the reader
in terms they never considered,
from a vantage point they never
experienced.

-Zoob

I have been writing a science fiction novel for a few months now but this summer, I have been doing so much that it has just been sitting on my computer...I did add a few paragraphs the other day but it was around 2 O'Clock AM so I was falling asleep by the time I finished.

I've recently had a sci fi fiction going. I don't really know what to say about it.

The only writing I seem to do these days is for my webseries. It deals with matching the subatomic vibrational frequencies of two different dimensions in order to traverse them. I try to be as scientifically accurate as possible.

Decades ago, I worked on a novel all through high school, but it was lost when I loaned it to a relative. :( I've, also, written a few short stories, and, even, some fanfiction. I was never published, though.

Originally posted by Steve
It deals with matching the subatomic vibrational frequencies of two different dimensions in order to traverse them. I try to be as scientifically accurate as possible.

can we try this at home? :smile:

You can try. Anything is possible...unless it's not. :smile:

I'm actually a published science-fiction author . I've had a grand total of one story accepted by mags and consequently published. As for sharing my best ideas, well, I can't do that, as I'm still using them. ;)

Congratulations Beren!

That's no mean feat considering
the huge amount of competition.
That's a tow in the door, and I
hope it leads to more success.

-Zooby

1. Who are the most famous authors of Sci Fi?

Some of the most famous authors of Sci Fi include Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury, and Philip K. Dick.

2. What makes someone a successful Sci Fi writer?

A successful Sci Fi writer is someone who can create a unique and believable world, develop complex and relatable characters, and explore thought-provoking ideas and themes within their writing.

3. Is it difficult to write Sci Fi?

Writing Sci Fi can be challenging as it requires a strong imagination, scientific knowledge, and the ability to create a cohesive and engaging story. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can become a successful Sci Fi writer.

4. Can anyone write Sci Fi or do you need a specific background?

Anyone can write Sci Fi, regardless of their background. While a scientific background may be helpful in creating more realistic and accurate concepts, it is not a requirement for writing Sci Fi. As long as you have a passion for the genre and are willing to do the necessary research, you can write Sci Fi.

5. What are some common themes found in Sci Fi writing?

Some common themes found in Sci Fi writing include time travel, space exploration, dystopian societies, artificial intelligence, and the consequences of advanced technology. These themes often explore the impact of scientific and technological advancements on society and humanity as a whole.