Constructing a Vehicle Powered by a Rubber Band:

In summary, the conversation is about a project where the goal is to construct a vehicle using only a size-10 rubber band as its source of power. The vehicle must be able to transport a 1 kg weight over 10 meters without the weight moving. After some discussion and ideas, the group decides to use wheels with minimal surface area to increase the distance the vehicle can travel. Someone also suggests using old CDs as wheels. The group member who tried this idea was successful in achieving a distance of 7.12 meters, which set the standard for the project. Overall, the wheel idea significantly improved the performance of the vehicle and the conversation ends with the group member joking about getting a good grade.
atticus_grey
A Rubber Band??

OK...i need your help people... i have to construct a vehical that can transport a 1 Kg weight over 10 meters using any materials i please...here's the catch: Its only source of power can be a size-10 rubber band! It can have no other source of power and it cannot be launched, and all pieces have to move with the vehical. One more thing: the weight cannot move. Please, anyone...HELP ME! ANY IDEAS?!?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok you want something that can move a weight a certain distance but you are not allowed to move that weight. The problem seems to contradict itself.

Im sorry, i mistated myself: The weight cannot shift position on the vehicle- it must remain still on the vehicle while it travels.
For example: I cannot construct a vehicle that uses the swinging motion of the weight as a way to keep it in motion. It has to remain still on the vehicle.

I did something like this in grade 8 but it was powered by a mouse trap. The best way to get it moving a long distance is to use wheels with very very little area touching the floor. I'm thinking something along the lines of an LP record . Put 2 records as wheels and it'll roll a good 40m if you want it to.

If you don't have any garbage records, you could use some AOL CDs. They give them out for free at Staples :wink:

ShawnD: If you don't have any garbage records, you could use some AOL CDs. They give them out for free at Staples.

LOL

I have a couple here I'm using as coasters...

thanks for the wheel idea! it worked!

Thanks for the wheel idea people...its significantly incresed the distance of my vehical. Other students who tried wheels such as skate board wheels didnt go far at all because of too much surface area. My vehical went about 5 meters when others went about 1...if that. They had poor designs with large wheels. The farthest distance was 7.12 meters so that set the standard, therefore...im getting a good grade hahahaha

1. How does a rubber band-powered vehicle work?

A rubber band-powered vehicle works by converting potential energy stored in the stretched rubber band into kinetic energy that propels the vehicle forward. When the rubber band is released, it contracts and transfers the stored energy to the wheels, causing them to move.

2. What materials are needed to construct a rubber band-powered vehicle?

The materials needed to construct a rubber band-powered vehicle include a rubber band, a lightweight frame (such as cardboard or balsa wood), axles, wheels, and a simple gear system. Optional materials could include a propeller or additional components for steering.

3. How do you calculate the distance a rubber band-powered vehicle can travel?

The distance a rubber band-powered vehicle can travel depends on the size and elasticity of the rubber band, as well as the weight and design of the vehicle. Generally, the distance can be estimated by measuring the length of the rubber band when fully stretched and multiplying it by 3-4 times.

4. What are some tips for building a successful rubber band-powered vehicle?

Some tips for building a successful rubber band-powered vehicle include using a lightweight and aerodynamic design, ensuring the rubber band is securely attached to the axle, and minimizing friction between moving parts. Additionally, using a longer rubber band and experimenting with different gear ratios can also improve the vehicle's performance.

5. What are some potential challenges when constructing a rubber band-powered vehicle?

Some potential challenges when constructing a rubber band-powered vehicle include getting the rubber band to stay securely attached to the axle, achieving a balance between weight and aerodynamics, and finding the right gear ratio for optimal performance. Additionally, it may take multiple attempts and adjustments to fine-tune the vehicle for the desired speed and distance.