Solving Resonance Problem: Explain Frequency of Tuning Fork

• Thread starter WhackyWookie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, a tuning fork vibrating above a vertical open tube filled with water causes the air in the tube to resonate at a distance of 0.125 m and 0.395 m from the tube opening. The frequency of the tuning fork is unknown, but according to a book, it is 635 hz, which is lower than the fundamental frequency of a 0.125 m closed tube (686 hz). However, this answer does not seem to make sense and further explanation is needed. A suggested equation to use is L_n = {(2n-1)/4}*wavelength, where L_n is the length of the air column and n is the antinode being measured. However, the solution provided in the link
WhackyWookie
A tuning fork is set into vibration above a vertica oepn tube filled with water. The water level is allowed to drop slowly. As it does, the air in the tube above the water level is heard to resonate with the tuning fork when the distance from the tube opening to the water level is 0.125 m and again at 0.395 m. What is the frequency of the tuning work?

The answer given on the back of the book is 635 hz. Not only do I have no idea how the book got this answer, but this answer is also is less than the fundamental frequency of a 0.125 m closed tube, which is 686 hz.

Could someone provide an explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can use the formula L_n = {(2n-1)/4}*wavelength where L_n is length of the air column and n is the which antinode you are measuring from probably the first and second. (I believe the term is resonance length but I am not sure) You then solve for the wavelength and find the frequence using the universal wave equation V=frequence*wavelength

Chen, I went to the link, but their solution makes no sense. They assumed that the 0.125m and 0.395m tubes' resonant frequency differs by 1 harmonics and used nothing to back that up.

Additionally, as I have said before, 635 hz is below the fundamental frequency of a 0.125 m half open tube.

Physics_is_phun, I used ur equation originally and got the answer that is wrong according to the book.

1. What is resonance and why is it important in tuning a fork?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object vibrates at its natural frequency in response to an external force. In tuning a fork, we want to find the resonant frequency at which the fork will produce the clearest and most sustained sound.

2. How do you determine the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork can be determined by using a frequency meter or by measuring the time it takes for a certain number of vibrations to occur. The frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz) which is equivalent to the number of vibrations per second.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork is primarily affected by its length, mass, and stiffness. Longer, heavier, and stiffer forks will have lower frequencies, while shorter, lighter, and more flexible forks will have higher frequencies. Other factors such as temperature and the material of the fork can also have an impact.

4. How can resonance be used to fine-tune a tuning fork?

Resonance can be used to fine-tune a tuning fork by adjusting its length, mass, or stiffness until it reaches its resonant frequency. This can be done by adding or removing weight, changing the material of the fork, or adjusting the tension of the prongs. Once the fork is in resonance, it will produce a clear and sustained sound.

5. How does the frequency of a tuning fork affect its pitch?

The frequency of a tuning fork directly affects its pitch. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the sound produced. Similarly, a lower frequency will result in a lower pitch. This is because the frequency of a sound wave is directly proportional to its pitch - the higher the frequency, the shorter the wavelength and the higher the pitch.