My teacher never went over this in class

In summary, using horizontal (x) components to solve for something in the y-component results in an answer that is wrong. To get the correct answer for how far the electrons dropped, use a standard equation for acceleration and solve for displacement in the Y-component.
RyanJF

Homework Statement

"A beam of electrons in a television tube moves horizontally with a velocity of 1.00 x 10^7 m/s. How far will the electrons drop as they travel a horizontal distance of 20.0cm?"

Vx (final velocity) = 1.00 x 10^7
Vox (initial velocity) = 1.00 x 10^7
Ag = 9.8
Xy (vertical distance) = ?

Homework Equations

Equations of kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher never covered using horizontal (x) components to get an answer for something in the y-component. Therefore, I'm a bit confused as to what do in order to get the answer for how far the electrons dropped.

I just used a standard equation (X = 1/2 (Vo + Vf)t) and got some wild answer that I know is not correct. So instead of asking for an answer, or for a check, I just want to know what process I need to use in order to get the right answer.

Maybe I shouldn't major in physics once I get into college, regardless of how much I like it.

Physics news on Phys.org
#1 - How long will it take to cover a horizontal distance of 20.0 cm at a horizontal rate of 1.00 x 10^7 m/s?

#2 - How far will anything drop in that amount of time?

Gah, I feel like such an idiot - I was about to post that I already solved for T, getting an answer of 2.02 seconds. Then I realized that my answer would be in meters, but I used the centimeter value of X to calculate T.

I suppose that my "T" would then be .202 seconds, not 2.02. What equation could I use to solve for displacement in the Y? All I'd have to do is 1/2 * 9.8 * .202^2, right?

Sooooo, assuming that I did that all correctly, the electrons dropped a whopping .19796m. Uh, that's a big television tube, unless I'm wrong again.

Last edited:
Somewhere along the way, I think that I forgot that an object dropped vertically will travel the same distance in the Y-component as an object thrown vertically. It'd be nice if somebody can check my answer, though.

I caught that one on my own, but I still have to thank Zgozvrm for making me look back at my time equation!

How did you come up with 0.202 seconds? (That's way off...)

T = sqrt(2x/Ag) = .202 seconds

I checked it with another equation for acceleration, and it's right. We went over it just a few minutes ago, and I did all of the work correctly.

I won't say that I'm sure beyond a doubt, but what do you think that it should be?

The horizontal distance is 20 cm which is 0.20 m.
The horizontal velocity is 1.00 x 10^7 m/s = 10,000,000 m/s

V x t = d
so, t = d / V

This is the time necessary for the electrons to travel 20 cm (note that the acceleration of gravity doesn't affect the horizontal velocity).

Hm. That definitely makes more sense. I thought that the answer of .1999m seemed rather large for a television tube, although I'm still feeling stupid for not getting that answer right off the bat. As I said, maybe considering a physics major is a bad idea, at this point in time.

That solution seemed obvious enough. I don't know how, or why, my teacher got the same answer as me, though. That looks pretty bad for him.

RyanJF said:
I don't know how, or why, my teacher got the same answer as me, though. That looks pretty bad for him.

Everyone makes mistakes. It sure makes it hard for the student when the teacher (or the book) is wrong!

Related to My teacher never went over this in class

What topic is your teacher not covering in class?

It is difficult to determine exactly what topic your teacher is not covering without more context. However, if you are struggling with a specific subject, it may be helpful to speak with your teacher or a tutor for additional support.

Why is your teacher not discussing this topic in class?

There could be a variety of reasons why your teacher is not discussing a certain topic in class. Some possible reasons may include time constraints, curriculum limitations, or the topic being outside of the scope of the course. It is important to remember that teachers have a lot of material to cover and may not be able to cover everything in depth.

How can you learn about this topic if your teacher is not covering it?

If you are interested in learning more about a topic that your teacher is not covering in class, there are a few options. You can do independent research on the topic, ask your teacher for additional resources, or seek help from a tutor or classmate who may be more knowledgeable in that area.

Is it important to understand this topic even if it is not being taught in class?

It depends on the subject and the specific topic. Some topics may be important for building a foundation of knowledge in a subject, while others may not be as crucial. It is always beneficial to have a well-rounded understanding of a subject, but if your teacher is not covering a specific topic, it may not be essential for your current coursework.

What should you do if you feel like you are falling behind because your teacher is not covering a certain topic?

If you feel like you are struggling with a topic that your teacher has not covered in class, it is important to speak up and seek help. Talk to your teacher about your concerns and ask for additional resources or clarification. You can also reach out to classmates or a tutor for additional support. It is important to address any gaps in your understanding before they become larger issues.