My teacher assigns too much work

In summary: K = 1/2 m v^2 = m g D = m g 2 Rso thatv = \sqrt{2 g D} = \sqrt{4 g R} = 2 \sqrt{g R}The minimum velocity would be a little more than that.In summary, the conversation involved a practice test for a test the next day, assistance with some problems involving a pendulum and a special spring, and a discussion about the Charpy impact test. The answers provided include the tension in a pendulum string, the potential energy in a special spring, and the minimum velocity required for a mass to complete a vertical circle.
john84
So my teacher handed out a practice test in preperation for our test tomorrow, and I understand a majority of the problems, but need help with a few problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. A mass m is attached to a light string of length R, and the other end of the string is attached to a fixed point above, making a pendulum. The mass is pulled out to the side so the string makes an angle (theta) with the vertical
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/232/circleqq9.jpg
a. If the mass is released in this position, what is the tension in the string immediately after the release? (I got that T=mgcos(theta). )
b. If the mass is released in this position, what is the tension in the string at the moment when the mass passes through the bottom of the swing? (No idea)
c. Instead of being released from rest, the mass is given an initial speed tangent to the circle downwards (SE in the diagram). Find the minimum value of v so that the mass travels in a complete vertical circle of radius R (No idea whatsoever)

2.A special spring is constructed in which the restoring force is in the opposite direction to the displacement, but is proportional to the cube of the displacement; ie, F=-kx^3

This spring is placed on a horizontal frictionless surface. One end of the spring is fixed, and the other end is fastened to a mass M. The mass is moved so that the spring is stretched a distance A and then released. Determine each of the following in terms of k, A, and M.
a. The potential energy in the spring at the instant the mass is released. (U=((KA^4)/4)
b.The maximum speed of the mass (square root ((KA^4)/2M))
c. The displacement of the mass at the point where the potential energy of the spring and the kinetic energy of the mass are equal (Once again, no idea)

3. I've got this problem down and don't need any help, although I'll post it if anyone's interested.

Again, thanks for any help at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
john84 said:
c. The displacement of the mass at the point where the potential energy of the spring and the kinetic energy of the mass are equal (Once again, no idea)
you're almost there. The potential energy at an arbitrary x is 1/4 kx^4. The potential energy lost between that position and the initial position is equal to the kinetic energy gained, and since it was released from rest, the initial kinetic energy was zero.

So, K = U0 - U kinetic energy is the difference between U initial and U(x)

and you want to solve for:

U = K
U = U0 - U
2U = U0

1/2 kx^4 = 1/4 ka^4
x^4 = 1/2 a^4

x = + or - a * the fourth root of 1/2

I hope that's right :smile:

Wow. Thank you so much, I finally get it. I just reached that point where everything clicks and I understand the problem better now. Thank you very much. Anyone else?

The pendulum problem is the basis of the Charpy impact test, so it is a rather practical problem.

T = mg cos [itex]\theta[/itex] is correct.

b. If the mass is released in this position, what is the tension in the string at the moment when the mass passes through the bottom of the swing?

Well there is the weight and there is the centripetal force since the pendulum is moving.

Assuming that the string has negligible mass, we are only interested in the change in elevation of the mass, i.e. the change in gravitational potential energy between the starting elevation and the bottom of the arc. The bottom of the arc is at R from the pivot and the starting distance below the pivot is simply R cos [itex]\theta[/itex].

c. In order for the mass to go half way around, it must increase in elevation by D = 2R from the bottom of the arc. What velocity would be needed to have the kinetic energy equivalent to the change in gravitational potential energy associated with a change in elevation of 2R?

Related to My teacher assigns too much work

1. Why does my teacher assign so much work?

There could be a variety of reasons why your teacher assigns a large amount of work. It could be to cover all the necessary material, to challenge students, or to prepare students for future assignments or exams.

2. Can I talk to my teacher about the workload?

Yes, you can always talk to your teacher about the workload. It's important to communicate your concerns and find a solution that works for both you and your teacher.

3. How can I manage my time better with the amount of work given?

One way to manage your time better is to create a schedule or to-do list. Prioritize your tasks and set aside specific times for each one. It's also important to take breaks and avoid procrastination.

4. What if I can't keep up with the workload?

If you find that you are struggling to keep up with the workload, don't be afraid to reach out to your teacher for help. They may be able to provide additional resources or adjust the workload to better suit your needs.

5. Is it normal for teachers to assign this much work?

The amount of work assigned by teachers can vary, but it is not uncommon for them to assign a significant amount of work. Remember, teachers have a curriculum to cover and they want to ensure their students are learning and understanding the material.