My supervisor wants a market survey?

• Thread starter juming
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Survey
In summary, the speaker is an engineering student who has created a Bluetooth and Zigbee gateway for home automation. They are seeking feedback from potential consumers on the idea of controlling and monitoring their home from their cellphone. The system is cheaper and more secure than other options and can work on most phones with Bluetooth and Java. Some suggestions for the market approach include conducting a survey and addressing security concerns. The project has real-world potential and is similar to a concept already being pursued by the speaker's friend.
juming
... and as an engineering student and having no idea about the market... i don't know what to do, so i thought i'd ask you guys - as i don't have much time!

my project has been to create a bluetooth <> zigbee gateway... but in the form of a home automation scheme. at the moment i have it all running & working & have my proof of concept... but i need a market survey or consumer response... so guys (girls too if you read this), tell me how you feel about being able to control/monitor your home from your cellphone. you do everything else on it - why not make it make you coffee or set the romantic mood for a dinner?

it works out cheaper than any other system I've found - has the functionality of all of them, is completely wireless, and a whole lot more secure than X10. it runs on almost any cellphone that has bluetooth and java (which basically means any fone with bluetooth).. and ... er.. ya...
so, what do you think? be my market for me? :biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds good.

How about you lay out some questions for your survey, then people will have specific issues to share their thoughts on. Just an idea...

I'd be concerned about snooping and spoofing, so you should address security concerns in your market approach. Make sure that you have a high enough level of security built into your approach, and then use that as part of your marketing literature.

Good job on the project -- definitely real-world. I have an EE friend who has started a company in Europe based on a very similar concept.

Related to My supervisor wants a market survey?

1. What is a market survey?

A market survey is a research method used to gather information and data about a specific market or industry. It involves collecting opinions, preferences, and behaviors of potential customers in order to understand their needs and make informed decisions about products or services.

2. Why does my supervisor want a market survey?

Market surveys provide valuable insights into consumer behavior and preferences, which can help companies make informed decisions about their products or services. Your supervisor may want to conduct a market survey to understand the market demand, identify potential competitors, or gather feedback on existing products.

3. How do you conduct a market survey?

There are several steps involved in conducting a market survey. First, you need to define your research objectives and target audience. Then, you can design a survey questionnaire and choose a suitable method for data collection, such as online surveys or face-to-face interviews. After collecting the data, you will analyze it and draw conclusions to inform your decision-making process.

4. What are the benefits of a market survey?

Market surveys provide a wealth of information and insights that can benefit companies in various ways. They help identify market trends, understand customer needs and preferences, gauge customer satisfaction, and assess the potential success of new products or services. Market surveys also provide a competitive advantage by helping companies make data-driven decisions.

5. Are there any limitations to market surveys?

Like any research method, market surveys have some limitations. One limitation is that they rely on self-reported data, which may not always be accurate. Additionally, market surveys may not capture the opinions of all potential customers, as some may not be willing to participate. It is important to carefully design and conduct a market survey to minimize these limitations and ensure the accuracy of the results.