My Research Project centered around Faraday's Law: Help and Discussion

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's research on Faraday's Law and their request for good articles and resources on the topic. They mention having a basic understanding from a previous physics course but want to deepen their knowledge. Recommendations for books on classical electromagnetism and Maxwell's equations are given, as well as a suggestion to start with a basic introductory physics textbook before moving on to more advanced material.
KSulli
Quick question.
I'm currently(started today) working on research centered Faraday's Law with an application in automobiles, and I'm just looking for some good articles/academic journals/research papers on Faraday's law to get a better understanding of it.
I gained a brief understanding of the topic in a physics course 2 semesters ago, but of course much of what I learned then was not retained. So the concept isn't foreign to me, but as I look deeper in Faraday's Law I wanted to get reference from people I knew would be most familiar with it.

As I continue my research over the next 8 weeks(and most likely further on) I'll be using this thread as my way of sharing and discussing progress.

By the way this is my first post so very quick introduction: My name's Keenan, I like to consider myself a young budding pupil in the area of Mechanical Engineering, but with a strong interest in Electrical Engineering and physics, just finished my 2nd year and I'm starting my first research project. So...hey everybody.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what you want is a good electromagnetism book. It's a mistake to try and just understand Faraday's law without having a solid foundation of classical electromagnetism as a whole. You need to study Maxwell's equations in all their glory to appreciate where Faraday's law comes from.

Griffiths has a book on this which is popular, Ohanian is decent (the one I learned from). Additionally if you really need a basic level book to get you going, try picking up a standard introductory physics textbook such as Halliday and Resnick and read pretty much everything they have to say about the subject, and then move to a more advanced book.

I will start there, then.
Thank you.

Related to My Research Project centered around Faraday's Law: Help and Discussion

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between electric fields and changing magnetic fields. It states that an electric current is induced in a closed loop when there is a change in the magnetic flux passing through the loop.

2. How can Faraday's Law be applied in research projects?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications in research projects, such as studying electromagnetic induction, designing electric motors and generators, and investigating the behavior of magnetic materials. It can also be used to measure the strength of magnetic fields and to understand the principles behind technologies like transformers and power grids.

3. What are some challenges that researchers may face when studying Faraday's Law?

One of the main challenges in researching Faraday's Law is conducting experiments that accurately measure and control the variables involved, such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field and the speed of change. Another challenge is understanding the complex mathematical equations that describe the law and its applications.

4. How has Faraday's Law contributed to our understanding of electricity and magnetism?

Faraday's Law has greatly contributed to our understanding of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It has helped explain how electric currents can be generated and how magnetic fields can be manipulated. It has also provided the basis for many technological advancements in the field of electromagnetism.

5. What are some future directions for research related to Faraday's Law?

Some potential future directions for research related to Faraday's Law include exploring its applications in renewable energy technologies, such as solar panels and wind turbines, and further investigating the behaviors of magnetic materials at the atomic level. Additionally, there is ongoing research into developing more efficient and precise methods for measuring and controlling electric and magnetic fields.