My professor gave us no solutions and my final is in two days PLEASE HELP

In summary: The conversation is about a practice exam problem involving projectile motion. The person is struggling with the first problem and is looking for someone to explain it to them. They share a link to the problem and someone responds saying that they can't just do the work for them and they need to show some effort first. The original person then shares the method they used to solve it and asks if it's correct.
ghettobacon
I cannot for the love of god figure out to do this projectile motion problem, the first problem on this practice exam. Our professor for whatever reason decided not to give a solution page. Somebody PLEASE explain the first problem to me...and if youre feeling brave itd be nice if you could do a few of the others.

I uploaded the pdf to sharebeast, the link is here http://www.sharebeast.com/ozpiopxlfzg6

edit: didnt realize you can just add attachments on here, so i did

Attachments

• practice_Final_Exam.pdf
    120.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since this isn't "Do Your Homework For You.com", you'll need to actually show some work first. That is a simple projectile motion problem, you must have some idea on how to do it.

sorry I didnt imply it to be that, i just assumed I did this problem completely wrong.. well this is how I did it

method1:

i used rho= (v_final)^2/a_normal where rho is the radius of curvature and v_final would be at the top of the arc. plugging in, rho=7.5 m, a_normal=10 g/s^2 giving you v_final=sqrt(75)

applying v_final= v_o + at, in th x direction gives sqrt(75) = v_o*cos(30) which would mean v_o = 10 m/s

is this correct?

Yes, that's correct.

I understand the frustration of not having solutions provided for practice problems. However, it is important to remember that the purpose of practice problems is to help you develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. Instead of relying on solutions, I suggest reviewing the concepts and equations related to projectile motion and working through the problem step by step. You can also try looking for online resources or asking a classmate or tutor for assistance. Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to your professor for clarification on any specific concepts or equations that you are struggling with. Remember to stay calm and focused, and trust in your ability to tackle this problem. Best of luck on your final exam.

Related to My professor gave us no solutions and my final is in two days PLEASE HELP

1. How can I prepare for my final if my professor did not provide any solutions?

It can be difficult to prepare for a final without solutions, but there are a few things you can do. First, review your notes and any practice problems that were given in class. Second, reach out to your classmates and form study groups to work through problems together. Third, utilize online resources such as study guides or practice exams from similar courses. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask your professor or teaching assistant for clarification on any material you are unsure about.

2. What should I do if I have a final in two days and no solutions to study from?

If you have a final in two days and no solutions, it is important to prioritize your studying. Focus on understanding key concepts and practicing problems that you know will be on the exam. Don't waste time on material that is less likely to be tested. Also, make sure to get enough rest and take breaks while studying to avoid burnout.

3. Is it common for professors to not provide solutions for exams?

It varies from professor to professor, but it is not uncommon for some professors to not provide solutions for exams. This may be because they want students to think critically and apply their knowledge, rather than just memorize solutions. However, if you feel that not having solutions is hindering your ability to learn and prepare for the exam, it is worth bringing up to your professor or the department.

4. How can I understand the material if I have no solutions to compare my answers to?

While solutions can be helpful for studying, they are not the only way to understand the material. As mentioned before, reviewing notes and working through practice problems can still help solidify your understanding. You can also try explaining the concepts to someone else or teaching them to a stuffed animal or pet. This can help you identify any gaps in your understanding.

5. What if I fail my final because my professor did not provide solutions?

It is understandable to feel worried about failing a final without solutions to study from. However, remember that your grade is not solely determined by one exam. Make sure to do your best on the final and also reach out to your professor to explain the situation. They may be able to provide some leniency or offer you additional resources to help you prepare. Ultimately, remember that one exam does not define your ability or worth as a student.