My Pi Discovery(Reason why 22/7 works)

• Thread starter greggory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi Works
In summary, while working with the Fibonacci sequence and golden spiral, the speaker made an interesting discovery about the relationship between phi and pi/2. They found that by using a formula involving three numbers and the sum of Fibonacci numbers, they were able to get closer and closer to phi, not pi/2 as originally thought. This may explain why 22/7 is a commonly used approximation for pi. However, further examination reveals that this convergence is not exact and actually approaches phi instead of pi/2.
greggory
So, I was working with the Fibonacci sequence this afternoon, and I stumbled onto something that maybe a major discovery to geometry, I don't know if it is or not. So, I began working with the golden spiral, and began drawing it. After drawing it, I noticed you could draw circles and more circles with this sequence and spiral. The values even made sense to the circle sketches.

This is what I did. Here is an image of it:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7633/proof1oa.png

What I did was took three numbers and inputted them into the formula I made, r1 / D + r2 / D = pi/2. The first numbers I did this to, I simply just got 2/2. Now, as I went on, the numbers became closer and closer to pi. I realized maybe if I kept going, I would reach a value, which I did. What I found maybe the reason why 22/7 works as an approximation of pi. So, I soon ended up with the diameter as 21. I did 1+1+2+3+5+8 / 21 + 13 / 21 = 3.14/2. Then, this would be 20/21 + 13 / 21. Add these fractions together, and you get 33/21, which simplified would be 11/7. If you were to multiply this by 2, you would get 22/7.

I was just wondering if this work is legit or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, the only reason that this seems to work is that phi, or 1.618, approximately, is somewhat close to pi/2. You're right that your equation is converging, but wrong in what it's converging to. It's not converging on pi/2, but on phi. Now, let's take a look at this to see why it's true...

Let's put your denominator as the nth Fibonacci number, F(n). If this is the case, then b will be F(n-1), and a will be the sum of all Fibonacci numbers up to F(n-2). Now, it is the case that the sum of all Fibonacci numbers up to F(n-2) is F(n)-1, or in summation notation:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n-2} F(k) = F(n)-1[/tex]

By substituting these in, we get that the left side is equal to:

[tex]\frac{F(n)+F(n-1)-1}{F(n)} = 1 + \frac{F(n-1)}{F(n)} - \frac{1}{F(n)}[/tex]

Expanding.Now, the first term is obviously 1, and the third term, as n goes large, will tend to zero. The second term is the most interesting, however. It's rather well known that the ratio of successive Fibonacci numbers tends to phi, i.e. F(n)/F(n-1) tends to phi for large n. This means that F(n-1)/F(n) tends to 1/phi for large n, and 1/phi can be written as phi-1 (it's one of the properties of phi). Substituting all this in, we get the following result:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{F(n)+F(n-1)-1}{F(n)} = \phi[/tex]

Close to pi/2? Certainly. Converging to pi/2? Not quite.

Related to My Pi Discovery(Reason why 22/7 works)

1. What is the significance of 22/7 in mathematics?

The number 22/7 is a commonly used approximation for the mathematical constant pi (π). Pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter and is approximately equal to 3.14159. 22/7 is used as an approximation because it is a simple fraction and is close enough to the actual value of pi for most applications.

2. Why does 22/7 work as an approximation for pi?

The value of pi is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction. However, 22/7 is a rational number, making it a better approximation for pi. This is because rational numbers have a finite number of decimal places, which makes them easier to work with in mathematical calculations.

3. How is 22/7 related to the discovery of pi?

The ancient Egyptians were the first to discover the concept of pi. They used a rough approximation of 3.16 for pi, which is very close to 22/7. It wasn't until the 18th century that mathematicians started using the symbol π to represent this constant, but the use of 22/7 as an approximation for pi has been around for centuries.

4. Can 22/7 be used in all mathematical calculations involving pi?

No, 22/7 is only an approximation for pi and may not be precise enough for more complex calculations. For most practical purposes, it is accurate enough, but for more precise calculations, the actual value of pi should be used.

5. Are there any other commonly used approximations for pi besides 22/7?

Yes, there are many other approximations for pi, such as 355/113 and 3.14. Some of these approximations have been used throughout history, while others have been discovered more recently. However, 22/7 remains one of the most well-known and commonly used approximations for pi.