My Notebook's Funny Clicking Sound - Is It the Harddrive?

In summary: Also, try checking your disk performance at different websites to see if it's just one site that's giving you a low rating.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:bugeye: I caught my notebook making a funny sound (several times already): something like a click, similar to when you release a string or when you put up your bicycle stand (I wonder if people in the US even HAVE those :rolleyes: :-p )

I sure hope it's not my harddrive :bugeye: could it be that?

it is EXACTLY one year since I bought the notebook (typical).. good I bought two years of extra insurance :rolleyes:

Computer science news on Phys.org
I suggest defragmenting your drive so the head of the hard drive reader doesn't have to jump around as often.

Hey, that's a good idea :)

If it happens after a few minutes of inactivity, it is probably just the drive parking its heads (moving them off to the side of the disk so that they can't accidentally bump into the discs). Are you sure it's a new noise?

- Warren

Monique, I suggest that just in case, you make sure everything on your computer is backed up (always a good practice, but everyone gets sloppy sometimes). The only time I had a notebook start clicking at me was about a week before it died a horrible death. I don't know what the clicking was, but apparently it was a bad thing. I handed it off to a friend who derives great joy from reviving dead computers, and he got it working with a new motherboard and I'm not sure if he also replaced the hard drive. I do know nothing on it was ever seen again (though it was all backed-up elsewhere, so not too disastrous).

Having just had my hard drive crash on my laptop, I would suggest you immediately back up anything important on your computer, and look into getting a new hard drive just in case. I would also suggest looking for programs on the internet for HD diagnostics.

When my HD was having trouble, I would hear an audible click, and the system would hang for a couple seconds before continuing. I don't know if that's what you are having, but if it is don't take a chance.

When a drive gets "broken in" the heads tend to make louder clicks than when new, becuase the dampeners are wore out usually..
This however is not a big problem, just make sure it is defragmented and you run a scnadisk or some HDD scan thing..

now, thecolor, what was happening to you, is the HDD could not find the item(magnetic arrangment) it needed, and finally just wore out..

btw, what model and brand is your notebook Monique?

Last edited:
Mine is a packard bell, the brand is not marketed in the US :)

I haven't heard strange things since I defragmented, everything is backed up :)

chroot said:
If it happens after a few minutes of inactivity, it is probably just the drive parking its heads (moving them off to the side of the disk so that they can't accidentally bump into the discs). Are you sure it's a new noise?

- Warren
:bugeye: it happened again today when I was checking disk health at www.pcpitstop.com ,a jumping needle I guess, and got an 'unusually low disk performance' rating (disk speed measured by the transfer rate or a relatively large data file). Without the sound I get an excellent rating, I'll contact the supplier :)

Last edited:
If that is the case Monique, look at getting a new hard drive

Related to My Notebook's Funny Clicking Sound - Is It the Harddrive?

1. What could be causing the funny clicking sound in my notebook?

The most common cause of a clicking sound in a notebook is a failing hard drive. However, it could also be caused by a loose fan, a malfunctioning optical drive, or a faulty power supply.

2. How do I know if the clicking sound is coming from the hard drive?

You can try gently tapping on different parts of your notebook to see if the clicking sound changes or stops. If the sound seems to be coming from the area where the hard drive is located, it is likely that the hard drive is the source of the sound.

3. Is the clicking sound a sign that my hard drive is about to fail?

Not necessarily. Clicking sounds can also be caused by other issues, such as a loose fan or a dirty fan. However, it is always a good idea to back up your important data and have your hard drive checked by a professional if you are experiencing a clicking sound.

4. Can I fix the clicking sound myself?

If the clicking sound is caused by a loose fan or a dirty fan, you may be able to fix it yourself by cleaning the fan or tightening any loose screws. However, if the sound is coming from the hard drive, it is best to have it checked and repaired by a professional to avoid causing further damage.

5. How can I prevent my hard drive from making a clicking sound in the future?

To prevent your hard drive from making a clicking sound, it is important to regularly back up your data, keep your notebook in a cool and dust-free environment, and avoid dropping or jarring your notebook. It is also recommended to have your notebook serviced regularly to ensure all components are functioning properly.