Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

My mini-thesis

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
Hello

I have to start writing a "mini-thesis" and I want to know what's the best format for the file. I work with Texnicenter on Miktex (i hope i spelled it correctly). I need a structure with sections for an introduction and different chapters. I would prefer one that didn't attribute numbers to theorems and definitions.

I will use this topic throughout the rest of the semester to solve my latex problems, in order not to create multiple topics for the same purpose.

Thanks in advance! :)

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hello

I have to start writing a "mini-thesis" and I want to know what's the best format for the file. I work with Texnicenter on Miktex (i hope i spelled it correctly). I need a structure with sections for an introduction and different chapters. I would prefer one that didn't attribute numbers to theorems and definitions.

I will use this topic throughout the rest of the semester to solve my latex problems, in order not to create multiple topics for the same purpose.

Hi ModusPonens, :)

I have never wrote a thesis but I have written some project reports using LaTeX. For that I referred the following article. It has all the useful packages that you can use when writing a thesis, however I believe the exact format of your thesis will depend on where you submit it. For example if you are submitting the thesis for your university they surely would have a specific format that you should follow.

http://tug.org/pracjourn/2008-1/mori/mori.pdf

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
Thank you. That seems like an awsome resource. :)

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Hello

You can use the IEEEtran class. Then you have options such as two column, conference, and think there are two more. As for not numbering theorems and definitions, you can define mdframed for theorems and definitions with a macro and then use that to call your theorem or definition environment. If you don't want mdframed, there are other packages you could use to get whatever result you desire.