My Math or Science Teacher: Who is Correct?

In summary, the math teacher is correct - the ball will never stop moving because it will always bounce half of its height. The science teacher is correct - the force of gravity will eventually stop the ball.
Atriusbread
This is a really simple question. My math teacher was explaining how if you drop a ball with some amount of air in it, it will never stop moving because it will always bounce half of the height of its last bounce. Then my science teacher said the force of gravity would eventually stop the ball. Who is correct... (The math makes sense to me.. isn't the math already taking into account gravity)

Physics news on Phys.org
In theory it will never stop moving - in practice it will.
Similarly the rate that you coffee cools is proportional to the temperature difference between the coffee and the room. As the coffee approaches the room temperature the cooling rate slows and it will take an infinite time to cool down.

Atriusbread said:
This is a really simple question. My math teacher was explaining how if you drop a ball with some amount of air in it, it will never stop moving because it will always bounce half of the height of its last bounce. Then my science teacher said the force of gravity would eventually stop the ball. Who is correct... (The math makes sense to me.. isn't the math already taking into account gravity)

Perhaps it’s best to look at it this light.

Drop a ball from 4 feet. If each time it bounces back up halfway, by the time the ball bounces just 12 times, it’s already bouncing back up less than one thousandth of a foot. After its 22nd bounce, it’s bouncing back up less than one millionth of a foot. After the 32nd bounce, it's bouncing back up by less than one billionth of a foot. It won’t take very long before its movement is less than that of the orbit of an atom, so who’s going to be able to detect its movement as it continues? For all practical purposes, by the time you can no longer detect the ball’s bouncing motion, it’s essentially at rest. Movement of any sort by that time is considered “negligible”.

Hope this helps.

Related to My Math or Science Teacher: Who is Correct?

1. What should I do if my math or science teacher teaches conflicting information?

It's important to remember that teachers are human and can make mistakes. The best approach is to respectfully bring up your concerns and ask for clarification. You can also do your own research to verify the information presented.

2. How do I know which teacher is correct?

It's not always easy to determine who is correct, especially if both teachers have valid arguments. In this case, it's important to gather more information and evidence to support one side over the other. You can also seek the advice of another teacher or a tutor.

3. What if my teacher's teaching style doesn't work for me?

Every student learns differently, and it's possible that your teacher's style may not be the best fit for you. In this case, you can try discussing your learning preferences with your teacher and see if they can adjust their teaching approach. If not, you may need to supplement your learning with additional resources.

4. How can I improve my understanding of math and science concepts?

First and foremost, practice is key. Make sure to do all assigned homework and practice problems to reinforce your understanding. You can also seek help from your teacher, peers, or a tutor if needed. Additionally, engaging in hands-on activities and real-world applications can enhance your understanding.

5. Is it okay to question my teacher's knowledge?

It is absolutely okay to respectfully question your teacher's knowledge. In fact, asking questions and seeking clarification is an important part of the learning process. Just make sure to approach the situation with an open mind and a willingness to learn.