My laptop doesn't have a windows key?

In summary, the windows key may not be present on some laptops due to various reasons such as older models, manufacturer choices, or lack of labeling. If the key is not physically present, it can still be accessed through the "Ctrl + Esc" key combination. It is not possible to add a windows key to a laptop, but external keyboards or covers may have one. The windows key primarily opens the start menu and can be used for other functions. It is not necessary for using a laptop as all functions can still be accessed without it.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
My laptop doesn't have a windows key?

What's going on here! Is there some sort of reason IBM doesn't have a windows key? I was tryen to use the start menu and I keep clicking and I'm all "is it freezing up already?" and then i realized i was hitting the Ctrl button and that there was no windows key!

How can I live without the minor convenience of not having to move my mouse 3 inches :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it the one the FDA inspected?:smile:

I think they took my windows key!

Related to My laptop doesn't have a windows key?

1. Why doesn't my laptop have a windows key?

There could be several reasons for this. Some laptops, especially older models, may not have a designated windows key. Additionally, some laptop manufacturers may choose to replace the windows key with their own brand key. It is also possible that the key is present but not labeled as a windows key.

2. How do I access the windows key if it's not physically present?

If the key is not physically present, you can still access the windows key by pressing the "Ctrl + Esc" key combination on your keyboard. This will perform the same function as the windows key.

3. Can I add a windows key to my laptop?

In most cases, it is not possible to add a windows key to a laptop that does not have one. This is because the key is typically integrated into the keyboard design and cannot be added separately. However, some external keyboards or keyboard covers may have a designated windows key that can be used with your laptop.

4. What are the functions of the windows key?

The windows key is primarily used to open the start menu on a Windows computer. It can also be used in combination with other keys to perform various functions, such as opening task manager, switching between open programs, and opening the search bar.

5. Is the windows key necessary for using a laptop?

No, the windows key is not necessary for using a laptop. It is simply a shortcut key that can make certain tasks easier and quicker to perform. You can still access all the functions of your laptop without using the windows key.