New program for making plots in linux

In Summary, the program can plot xy scatter plots, but it needs to be compiled with the C99 flags -I/usr/include.
grady
I've been working on a program that can make plots for the past two weeks. I've been toiling over window creation, how to parse up commands, multiple viewports in a window etc, and yesterday I finally got the program to do some actually plotting. All it can plot is xy scatter plots right now and it doesn't do any of the statisitical calculations that I'm planning on, but at least it plots. If you want to check it out and make some suggestions you can do so, suggestions about code or features that you think would be neat are very welcome. you can download the code at http://members.cox.net/gradyfield/agda.tar.bz2 . Type "make -f agda.mk makefile AUTO=headers" then "make agda" to compile. Then run it with ./agda and type "source dem.ast" to execute a series of commands that will make plots come up on the screen.

In the commands the program executes, -ft in plot means the next argument is a text file, -t means type and xys means xy scatter. plot should be able to plot up a file as histogram or whatever but that doesn't work yet. Thanks for any comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I've tried but it seems that something is missing. The result of :
make -f agda.mk makefile AUTO=headers

is

cp agda.mk makefile
gcc -I ./ -O3 -M agdacommands.c agdautility.c Xwindow.c agda.c dlist.c graphmem.c render.c >> makefile
In file included from agdacommands.c:21:
agdatypes.h:24:20: GL/glx.h: No such file or directory
agdatypes.h:25:38: X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h: No such file or directory
agdatypes.h:26:24: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
Xwindow.c:20:20: GL/glx.h: No such file or directory
Xwindow.c:21:38: X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h: No such file or directory
Xwindow.c:22:24: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
In file included from Xwindow.h:22,
from Xwindow.c:23:
agda.c:21:31: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
agda.c:22:30: readline/history.h: No such file or directory
agda.c:23:19: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
agda.c:24:20: GL/glu.h: No such file or directory
agda.c:25:20: GL/glx.h: No such file or directory
agda.c:26:38: X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h: No such file or directory
agda.c:27:24: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
In file included from Xwindow.h:22,
from agda.c:29:
In file included from graphmem.c:18:
In file included from render.c:18:
render.c:20:19: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
render.c:21:20: GL/glu.h: No such file or directory
render.c:22:20: GL/glx.h: No such file or directory
render.c:23:38: X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h: No such file or directory
render.c:24:24: X11/keysym.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [makefile] Error 1

I'm not very good at console, but if you can clue me I'll be glad to take a look at your program

Hi, Guybrush Threepwood. You need to add "-I /usr/include" to the line in agda.mk that says "CFLAGS = -I ./ -O3". You might also do type gcc -v in the console. if your version of gcc isn't at least 3.2 the program might not compile becuase C99 stuff doesn't work. There might be a compiler switch to turn on C99 but i haven't looked yet on Google. Thanks for trying to get the program working though. :)

gcc is 2.96 :frown:
I also have linux at home so I'll check the gcc version there and if it's good I'll try...

What is the purpose of the new program for making plots in Linux?

The purpose of the new program for making plots in Linux is to provide a user-friendly and efficient tool for creating visual representations of data in the Linux operating system. This program is designed to help scientists, researchers, and other users easily create high-quality plots for their data analysis and presentations.

What features does the new program for making plots in Linux offer?

The new program for making plots in Linux offers a variety of features including customizable plot types, support for multiple data formats, interactive data visualization, and the ability to save and export plots in different file formats. It also includes a user-friendly interface and extensive documentation for ease of use.

Is the new program for making plots in Linux open-source?

Yes, the new program for making plots in Linux is an open-source software. This means that it is freely available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute. This allows for continuous improvement and collaboration within the scientific community.

Can the new program for making plots in Linux handle large datasets?

Yes, the new program for making plots in Linux is designed to handle large datasets with ease. It utilizes efficient algorithms and optimized code to handle complex data and generate plots quickly. Users can also adjust the settings to optimize performance for their specific needs.

Is the new program for making plots in Linux compatible with other software and programming languages?

Yes, the new program for making plots in Linux is compatible with other software and programming languages commonly used in scientific research. It supports various data file formats and can be integrated with other tools and languages through its application programming interface (API).