My instinct is conflicting with the stress equation

• Thread starter Seppe87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum tensile stress in an L-shaped beam loaded by a bending moment and the determination of its location. The calculations and analysis show that the maximum tensile stress will occur at the top left corner of the cross section, as it is the point furthest away from the moment vector acting across the entire length of the beam. The conversation also confirms the assumption that the neutral axis runs along the moment vector.
Seppe87

Homework Statement

An L-shaped beam is loaded by a bending moment M under an angle ψ with the horizontal axis. M = 200 Nm and ψ = 45°. Determine the maximum tensile stress in the beam and its location(s).

207989u.jpg

I added the purple moment-vectors myself, they are the horizontal and vertical components of the applied moment, the black vector.

Homework Equations

σ = [(Ix*My - Iz*Mx)*x + (Iy*Mx - Iz*My)*y]/(Ix*Iy - Iz²)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the center of gravity, which resulted in the coordinates x=17.61 and y=15.59 with respect to the bottom left corner.
Then I calculated Ix, Iy and Iz, which I found to be
Ix = 140 521.35 mm4
Iy = 111 889.43 mm4
Iz = -42 639.63 mm4

Then, when you look at the components of the moment separately, you'll find that for the horizontal component, the top side is in tension and the bottom is in compression. For the vertical component, the left side is in tension and the right side is in compression. This means that, if combined (so in the case of the actual applied moment), the maximum tensile stress will be in the top left corner of the cross section (which has coordinates x=-17.61. and y=19.59 with respect to the center of gravity)

However, when looking analytically at the stress equation, one can see that the stress will be higher if x would be positive as well. The top corner in the middle has a positive x-value wrt the center of gravity and should, theoretically, have a higher tensile stress. But I always thought that the point furthest away from the vector has the highest stress (since stress varies linearly, thus the farther, the higher) and the top corner in the middle isn't the furthest at all...

I already calculated the neutral axis but that resulted in the confirmation of my assumption that the neutral axis runs more or less along the moment vector (it has a bit steeper slope, but that doesn't change a thing)

Does anyone have any idea?Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make sure that everything I had was mentioned.

Last edited:
Likes Bibleman
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made a good attempt at solving this problem, and your calculations and analysis are correct. The maximum tensile stress will indeed occur at the top left corner of the cross section, as you have correctly determined.

You are correct in thinking that the point furthest away from the moment vector will experience the highest stress. However, in this case, it is important to note that the moment vector is not acting at a single point on the cross section, but rather across the entire length of the beam. This means that the stress will be distributed across the cross section, with the highest stress occurring at the point furthest away from the moment vector (in this case, the top left corner).

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

Related to My instinct is conflicting with the stress equation

1. What exactly is "my instinct" and how does it conflict with the stress equation?

Instinct refers to a natural or intuitive way of thinking or behaving that is not based on conscious reasoning. In the context of the stress equation, it can refer to our innate reactions or responses to stressful situations. This conflict can arise when our instincts tell us to react in a certain way, but the stress equation suggests a different approach to managing stress.

2. Is it common for instincts and the stress equation to conflict?

Yes, it is quite common for instincts and the stress equation to conflict. Our instincts are deeply ingrained and can be difficult to override, even when we know that the stress equation may offer a more effective solution for managing stress. It is important to recognize and acknowledge this conflict in order to find a balance between our instincts and the stress equation.

3. How can I resolve this conflict between my instincts and the stress equation?

The first step in resolving this conflict is to understand and acknowledge both sides. It is important to recognize that our instincts may be based on past experiences or learned behaviors, while the stress equation is based on scientific research and proven techniques for managing stress. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mental health professional who can provide personalized strategies for managing this conflict.

4. Can ignoring my instincts and following the stress equation have negative consequences?

It is possible that ignoring our instincts and solely relying on the stress equation can have negative consequences. Our instincts serve a purpose and can provide valuable information about a situation. It is important to find a balance between trusting our instincts and using the tools and techniques provided by the stress equation to effectively manage stress.

5. Are there any situations where following my instincts may be more beneficial than the stress equation?

Yes, there may be certain situations where following our instincts may be more beneficial than following the stress equation. For example, in a high-stress emergency situation, our instincts may kick in and help us make quick decisions and take action. However, it is still important to consider the long-term effects and consequences of our actions and to seek support in managing any resulting stress.