My course choices for next year

In summary, the individual is planning to attend graduate school for medical physics after their fourth year of college. They have already chosen their courses for Fall 2015 and Winter 2016, but still need to decide on three more physics credits and one more math course to fulfill a math minor. The options for physics are Materials or Fluids, and for math they have Problem Solving, Complex Variables, and Linear Algebra 2. Linear Algebra 2 is only offered in the fall, while Euclidean Geometry is necessary for the math minor. The individual is unsure which of the remaining courses would be the most useful. Materials covers introductory concepts in solids, Fluids covers key concepts and equations for describing fluids, Linear Algebra 2 covers topics like
Godric
So, I go to a relatively small school and don't have all that many options, but I'd like to ask about the couple I do have. I am going into my forth year, but because of the rotational schedule of the math and physics departments I took all the available forth year courses in the previous year. I plan to go to grad school for medical physics after this coming year.

I am for sure taking:

Fall 2015
Analog Electronics
Statistical Thermodynamics
Differential Equations 2

Winter 2016
Digital Electronics
Advanced Mechanics
Euclidean Geometry
Regression Analysis

I am also planning a directed studies with a Prof which counts for 3 physics credits, but will probably take both semesters. I'll need three more physics credits and I only have two options Materials or Fluids, which of those two is a more useful course? I will also need one more math course to get a math minor, my only options that seem to fit the schedule are Problem Solving, Complex Variables and Linear Algebra 2, again, which of these three seem the most useful?

Thank you all in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please list some description for each of the courses you're not sure about.

Sorry, that would be useful wouldn't it?:

Materials
Students explore introductory concepts in the description of solids. Topics include bonding, crystal structure, defects, strength of materials, heat capacity, lattice vibrations and phonons, electrical properties, band theory, and semiconductors.

Fluids
Students are introduced to the key concepts and equations used to describe fluids. Starting with a description of rarefied fluids using kinetic theory, simple gas transport properties are derived. Euler's and Bernoulli 's equations are examined under static and steady flow conditions. Students derive and examine the Navier-Stokes equation and the equation of continuity under conditions of, steady flow and one-dimensional approximation. Equations to describe the flow of viscous fluids, flow in pipes, flow over immersed bodies, and open channel flow are also introduced. Finally, students explore properties of water waves such as the dispersion relation, capillary and gravity waves.

Linear 2
Students explore such topics as: matrix diagonalization and its application to systems of linear differential equations and Markov chains; invariant subspaces; inner product spaces; Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization; linear operators of various special types (normal, self-adjoint, unitary, orthogonal, projections); the finite-dimensional spectral theorem; and bilinear and quadratic forms.

Complex variables
Students are introduced to the classical complex function theory, a cornerstone of mathematics. Topics include: complex derivatives and the Cauchy-Riemann equations; the complex exponential function and related elementary functions; integration along curves and Cauchy's theorems; Taylor and Laurent series; zeros and singularities; residues; and evaluation of integrals using the residue theorem.

Problem solving
This course provides learners with a systematic approach to problem solving. Students use a variety of analytical techniques to solve problems drawn from various disciplines. This course is of interest to students in any program where numerical problems may occur.

Mathwise, I think linear 2 would be the best option since you can never know too much linear algebra. Then again, complex variables would be quite useful too. Do you really need to take Euclidean geometry?

Likes Godric
Unfortunately Linear and complex are only available in Fall, so I need Euclidean for the minor.

Related to My course choices for next year

1. What factors should I consider when choosing my courses for next year?

When choosing your courses for next year, you should consider your academic strengths and interests, the requirements for your degree or major, and any prerequisites for upper-level courses. It is also important to think about your workload and time management abilities.

2. Can I take courses outside of my major or degree requirements?

Yes, many universities allow students to take elective courses outside of their major or degree requirements. These can help you explore other interests or broaden your knowledge in different subjects. However, make sure to check with your academic advisor to ensure these courses will still count towards your degree.

3. How many courses should I take per semester?

This varies depending on your personal academic goals and capabilities. Most universities consider 12-15 credits per semester to be full-time, but some students may take more or less depending on their workload and other commitments. You should also consider the difficulty of your courses when deciding how many to take.

4. Can I change my course choices after submitting them?

It depends on your university's policies and deadlines. Some universities allow students to make changes to their course selections during the first week of classes, while others may have stricter deadlines. It is best to check with your academic advisor or registrar's office for their specific guidelines.

5. How can I ensure I am choosing the right courses for my career goals?

It is important to research the requirements and recommended courses for your desired career field. You can also speak with advisors, professors, or professionals in your field for advice on which courses would be most beneficial. Additionally, internships or job shadowing can give you a better understanding of the skills and knowledge needed for your career path.