My bra-ket calcs seem to be going wrong - help

• Thread starter andrewkirk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bra-ket
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of numbers to label kets and the distinction between -|x> and |-x>. It also mentions the concept of the Parity operator, which has eigenvalues of either 1 or -1, and how this relates to the discussion about kets. The conversation also brings up the importance of being clear about the notation used and understanding the meaning behind it.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What am I doing wrong here?

Let [itex]\psi[/itex] be a ket whose representation in the X basis is given by
[itex]\psi(x)\ =\ \langle x|\psi\rangle\ =\ e^{-x^{2}/2}[/itex]

Then
[itex]\psi(-x)\ =\ \langle -x|\psi\rangle\ =\ e^{-x^{2}/2}\ = \psi(x)[/itex] (1)

But we also have:
[itex]\psi(-x)\ =\ \langle -x|\psi\rangle[/itex] (2)
[itex]\ =\ \langle (-1)\times x)|\psi\rangle[/itex] (3), by the linearity of the inner product
[itex]\ =\ (-1)^*\times\langle x|\psi\rangle[/itex] (4)
[itex]\ =\ -\langle x|\psi\rangle[/itex] (5)
[itex]\ = -\psi(x)[/itex] (6)

and this contradicts (1).

I must have gone wrong here somewhere. I think it might be in (2) or (3). But I can't see the problem.

Thank you very much for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Going from (3) to (4) is wrong. The ket |x> is the eigenket of the position operator with eigenvalue x. The notation generally |-x> means the eigenket of the position operator with eigenvalue -x. It is NOT "the operator -1 acting on the eigenket |x>." This confusion is understandable since we sometimes write "the ket obtained by acting on the ket |ψ> with the operator A" as |Aψ>; however that is not the meaning intended in this case.

So you need to be clear on the distinction between -|x> and |-x>. For instance, while both are eigenstates of the position operator, the first has eigenvalue x, while the second has eigenvalue -x. The first one is a multiple of the ket |x>, while the second one is completely orthogonal to |x>.

Thank you Duck. It all makes sense now.

I always thought using numbers to label kets was a bit dicey, and now I see why.
From now on I'll remind myself that
[itex]|x\rangle[/itex] is really [itex]|\delta_x\rangle[/itex]

I agree with what The Duck said. I will take this a bit further for your curiosity's sake.

Define the Parity operator P by

P|x> = |-x>.

The eigenvalues of P can be either 1 or -1 (try and prove this or tell me if you can't. Hint for proof: consider P^2 and it's eigenvalues).

These are the ONLY eigenvalues P can take.

In the -1 (odd) case, we have P|x> = -|x>, and since P|x> = |-x>, we get |-x> = -|x>.

This is the case you have described here.

In the other case, (eigenvalue of P is +1), you would get

-|-x> = |x>.

Edit: I'm not sure if what I've described is exactly the same as what you have in the OP because you are doing the inner product whereas I am acting an operator on |x>. Food for thought...

Related to My bra-ket calcs seem to be going wrong - help

What is a bra-ket calculation?

A bra-ket calculation is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to represent and manipulate quantum states and operators. It involves using the notation of "bra-ket" which consists of a bra vector, represented by <, and a ket vector, represented by >.

Why am I getting incorrect results in my bra-ket calculations?

There could be several reasons for incorrect results in bra-ket calculations. Some common mistakes include using the wrong mathematical operations, not properly normalizing the bra and ket vectors, or using the incorrect notation for operators. It is important to double-check your calculations and review the mathematical principles behind bra-ket calculations.

How can I troubleshoot my bra-ket calculations?

If you are having trouble with your bra-ket calculations, it is helpful to review the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and bra-ket notation. You can also seek help from a colleague or refer to textbooks or online resources for guidance. Additionally, breaking down the calculation into smaller steps and double-checking each step can help identify any errors.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in bra-ket calculations?

Some common mistakes to avoid in bra-ket calculations include confusing the order of operations, using the incorrect notation for operators, and not properly normalizing the vectors. It is also important to carefully check your calculations for any typos or errors in mathematical equations.

How can I improve my understanding of bra-ket calculations?

Improving your understanding of bra-ket calculations requires practice and a solid understanding of the principles of quantum mechanics. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from experts or attend workshops or seminars on quantum mechanics and bra-ket notation. Additionally, practicing with different types of calculations and seeking feedback on your work can also improve your understanding.