My 3 years old going down hill with missing ACA A1 segment

• Medical
  • Thread starter opcom168
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill Years
In summary, a missing segment of one of the two Anterior Cerebral Arteries (ACA) is suspected in a young man with hemiplegic events and poor vision (OA). His father is trying to help compensate for the deficiency by exercising him, but is careful to do so within his accustomed activity levels.
opcom168
Hi,

I am worried my son probably going heading down hill with absent/missing ACA A1 segment. He is also has very poor vision (OA) with nystagmus. He has hemiplegic event last years by treating his sinus issue somehow has positive effect for 8~10 months no hemiplegic events. Last week he had major hemiplegic (for us it is). Our pead. neuro help scheduled MRI/MRA which indicates missing ACA A1 segment. Have anyone other there encounter similar issues? What could we do?

Help

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
opcom168 said:
Hi,

I am worried my son probably going heading down hill with absent/missing ACA A1 segment. He is also has very poor vision (OA) with nystagmus. He has hemiplegic event last years by treating his sinus issue somehow has positive effect for 8~10 months on hemiplegic events. Recently he had it again MRA indicates missing ACA A1 segment; taken after a major day time headache and hemiplegic. Have anyone other there encounter similar issues?

Help

It sounds like your son needs to be evaluated by a neurosurgeon ASAP if he is symptomatic. What you are describing is a missing portion of one of the two Anterior Cerebral Arteries (ACA). These arteries form part of a circle of arteries located at the base of the brain. The A1 segment is one part of this circle which means that the circle is incomplete. However, because it is a circle, blood can be supplied from the other side. So a missing A1 segment on the right can be compensated for by an intact A1 segment on the left and vice-verse. However the symptoms suggest that the this compensation is inadequate. This would not be unexpected in a growing brain.

We cannot give medical advise here, but a neurosurgeon can advise you of your options. I do wish you and your son the best in this difficult situation.

we still monitoring him and our pead. neurology here overwhelmed with patience (only one). He still looks and doing fine.. as you mention I am worried about developing brain. I am just asking myself will neuro able to rewire him? He has OA, optical atrophy and it could be related.

Last edited by a moderator:
opcom168 said:
we still monitoring him and our pead. neurology here overwhelmed with patience (only one). He still looks and doing fine.. as you mention I am worried about developing brain. I am just asking myself will neuro able to rewire him? He has OA, optical atrophy and it could be related.

we are giving him more workout now - just let me enjoy in open space. Desperately try to help blood flow into his brain. I am just don't want to wait until things gets really bad. Symptoms wise, he have abnormal breathing from time to time while he sleeps - I used to inform my pead. neuro i felt his brain signaling lacks oxygen.

Last edited by a moderator:
opcom168 said:
we are giving him more workout now - just let me enjoy in open space. Desperately try to help blood flow into his brain. I am just worried don't want to wait until things gets really bad. Symptoms wise, he have abnormal breathing from time to time while he sleeps - I used to inform my pead. neuro i felt his brain signaling lacks oxygen.

I would be careful about trying to exercise the boy beyond his accustomed activity levels until he's evaluated. Missing segments in the Circle of Willis actually occur in many people who live normal lives and it's not discovered until they die from other causes. At this point, you can't rule out other possibly associated abnormalities. As I said, we cannot give advice here other than to get an evaluation by a neurosurgeon. Beyond this, I don't think anyone in Physics Forums is in a position to advise you. If you wish, you can post what the neurosurgeon has advised; but for anything beyond that there's nothing we can do here. I'm sure anyone reading this thread is hoping for the best for your son.

Related to My 3 years old going down hill with missing ACA A1 segment

1. What is an ACA A1 segment?

An ACA A1 segment is part of the anterior cerebral artery, which is one of the main arteries responsible for supplying blood to the brain. The A1 segment specifically refers to the first portion of the artery as it branches off from the internal carotid artery.

2. Why is a missing ACA A1 segment concerning for a 3-year-old?

A missing or underdeveloped ACA A1 segment can lead to decreased blood flow to certain areas of the brain, which can result in developmental delays and neurological issues in young children. This is because the brain is still developing and requires a steady supply of oxygen and nutrients to function properly.

3. How is a missing ACA A1 segment diagnosed?

A missing ACA A1 segment can be diagnosed through imaging tests such as an MRI or CT scan. These tests can show the structure and function of the arteries in the brain and determine if there is a missing or underdeveloped segment.

4. What are the treatment options for a missing ACA A1 segment in a 3-year-old?

Treatment options for a missing ACA A1 segment may vary depending on the severity and symptoms. In some cases, medications may be prescribed to manage symptoms or surgery may be necessary to improve blood flow to the affected areas of the brain.

5. What can be expected for the long-term prognosis of a 3-year-old with a missing ACA A1 segment?

The long-term prognosis for a child with a missing ACA A1 segment depends on the individual case and the success of treatment. In many cases, early intervention and appropriate treatment can lead to improved neurological function and better long-term outcomes. It is important to work closely with a healthcare team to monitor and manage any symptoms or developmental delays that may arise.

Back