Mutual Inductance Transfer function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of Io(s) to Ii(s) using basic KVL laws. The suggested approach involves using a Thevenin equivalent and writing mesh equations to solve for the capacitor current. It is noted that the equations may become long and complex due to the presence of multiple inductors and a mutual inductance. It is also mentioned to use KVL instead of KCL and to ensure both resistors are labeled correctly.
JasonHathaway

Homework Statement

Find Io(s)/Ii(s)
Untitled.png

Homework Equations

Basic KVL laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is to start from the RHS of the circuit until I get a relation between Io(s) and Ii(s).
Untitled.png

Capture.png

Actually I stopped at this point, I wondered whether my approach is appropriate or not since the equations is getting longer and longer.

What do you say?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can expect the expressions to get longer and nastier. You've got a circuit with four inductors, a mutual inductance and a capacitor, so it's going to have some complex behavior in its general solution. It would be considerably simpler if the input current was confined to being a single frequency sinewave :smile:

If it were me I'd think of "replacing" the input current and R2 with a Thevenin equivalent just to get rid of one loop, then write mesh equations and use Cramer's Rule to solve symbolically for the capacitor current (mesh 3). Then all the hairy parts will be confined to one step: the hammering out of the two 3 x 3 determinants.

JasonHathaway said:

Homework Statement

Find Io(s)/Ii(s)
Untitled.png

In the I2 loop is a resistor R2, but the resistor in parallel with the input source also looks like R2 to me. Are they really both R2?

Also, your equations so far don't include LR; I see LL but not LR.

I would agree with gneill to change the current input to a Thevenin.
Then, you stated you want to use KVL but you used KCL instead. Stick to KVL. This is not a complicated circuit. Just two equations.
Also, use lowet case for the Laplace variable s.

Related to Mutual Inductance Transfer function

1. What is mutual inductance transfer function?

Mutual inductance transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals in a circuit that has mutual inductance. It describes how changes in the input signal affect the output signal due to the mutual inductance between two or more components.

2. How is mutual inductance transfer function calculated?

Mutual inductance transfer function is calculated by taking the ratio of the output signal to the input signal in the frequency domain. This can be done through various mathematical methods, such as using Laplace transforms or solving differential equations.

3. What is the significance of mutual inductance transfer function?

Mutual inductance transfer function is important in understanding and analyzing the behavior of circuits with mutual inductance. It allows scientists and engineers to predict how changes in the input signal will affect the output signal, and to design and optimize circuits for specific functions.

4. How does mutual inductance transfer function differ from self-inductance transfer function?

Mutual inductance transfer function takes into account the mutual inductance between components in a circuit, while self-inductance transfer function only considers the inductance of a single component. Additionally, mutual inductance transfer function is a complex-valued function, while self-inductance transfer function is real-valued.

5. What are some applications of mutual inductance transfer function?

Mutual inductance transfer function is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, particularly those with transformers or inductors. It is also used in wireless power transfer systems, where mutual inductance is utilized to transfer energy between two coils without direct electrical contact.