Mutual inductance of a solenoid wrapped around part of a toroid

In summary: We can also use the self-inductance equation for a toroid to find the self-inductance of the solenoid, and then plug that into the equation for EMF_s to solve for the mutual inductance. In summary, the mutual inductance (M) of a square-bore toroid with a partially wrapped solenoid can be calculated by using Faraday's Law and Ampere's Law to relate the emf of the solenoid and toroid to the mutual inductance, calculating the flux of the solenoid through the toroid, and solving for the mutual inductance.
WJSwanson
*This isn't a problem so much as needing to fill in the gaps from a lecture where I was taking notes on painkillers due to surgery. The problem statement is my best guess as to what exactly was said by the instructor.

Homework Statement

"Find the mutual inductance (M) of a square-bore toroid that has a solenoid wrapped partially around it. Assume the toroid and solenoid behave as their respective ideals. No numerical values aside from physical constants are included; we are looking for an analytical solution."

Inner and outer radii of the square-bore toroid: a and b, respectively.
Edge length the toroid bore: h
Number of turns in the solenoid and the toroid: Ns and Nt, respectively.

Now here's the work I had in my notes:
[itex]EMF_s = -M \frac{di_t}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]EMF_t = -M \frac{di_s}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]N_t \frac{d\Phi_{B,s}}{dt} = M \frac{di_t}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]N_s \frac{d\Phi_{B,t}}{dt} = M \frac{di_s}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]\oint \vec{B} . d\vec{s} = \mu_0 N_t i_t[/itex]

[itex]\Phi_{B,1} = \int \vec{B} . d\vec{A} = \int^b_a \frac{\mu_0 N_2 i_2 h}{2\pi r} dr = \frac{\mu_0 N i_t h}{2\pi} ln(\frac{b}{a})[/itex]

[itex]N_s \Phi_{B,1} = M i_2 \Rightarrow M = \frac{N_s N_t \mu_0 h}{2\pi} ln(\frac{b}{a})[/itex]

Homework Equations

Faraday-Lentz Law:
[itex]EMF = -d\Phi_B / dt[/itex]

EMF vs inductance:
[itex]EMF = -L di/dt[/itex]

Ampere's Law:
[itex]\oint \vec{B} . d\vec{s} = \mu_0 i_{encl}[/itex]

Self-inductance of a solenoid:
[itex]L = N^2_s \mu_0 A * \frac{1}{l}[/itex]

Self-inductance of a toroid:
[itex]L = \int^b_a N^2_t \mu_0 h dr / 2\pi r = \frac{N^2_t \mu_0 h}{2\pi} \int^b_a \frac{dr}{r} = \frac{N^2_t \mu_0 h}{2\pi} ln(\frac{b}{a})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the question arises, did I write everything down correctly? That might not be the case. Assuming I did, I run into some weirdness.

Using Faraday's Law, we find that
[itex]EMF_s = -N_s \frac{d \Phi_{B,s}}{dt} \Rightarrow N_s \frac{d\Phi_{B,s}}{dt} = M \frac{di_t}{dt}[/itex]

and

[itex]EMF_t = -N_t \frac{d \Phi_{B,t}}{dt} \Rightarrow N_t \frac{d\Phi_{B,t}}{dt} = M \frac{di_t}{dt}[/itex].

So now we have:
[itex]N_s \frac{d\Phi_{B,s}}{dt} = M \frac{di_t}{dt}[/itex]
&
[itex]N_t \frac{d\Phi_{B,t}}{dt} = M \frac{di_s}{dt}[/itex].

From there, I'm not sure what to do. I suppose it would be time to pick which geometry has the easier flux calculation (probably the toroid, since we aren't given the dimensions of the solenoid) to find di/dt for its counterpart?

For the toroid:

[itex]\oint \vec{B} . d\vec{s} = \mu_0 i_{encl.} = \mu_0 N_t i_t[/itex]
[itex]d(\oint \vec{B} . d\vec{s}) / dt = \mu_0 \frac{d i_{encl.}}{dt} = \frac{\mu_0}{L} \frac{d\Phi_B}{dt}[/itex]

or at least I think. I really am not sure where any of the rest of this stuff comes from, though. I would seriously appreciate anyone who can help me figure this out. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is as follows:1. Use Faraday's Law to relate the emf of the solenoid and toroid to the mutual inductance between them:EMF_s = -M \frac{di_t}{dt}EMF_t = -M \frac{di_s}{dt}2. Use Ampere's Law to relate the enclosed current in the toroid to its self-inductance:\oint \vec{B} . d\vec{s} = \mu_0 N_t i_t3. Calculate the flux of the solenoid through the toroid, using the self-inductance equation for a solenoid. This will allow us to find the mutual inductance:\Phi_{B,1} = \int \vec{B} . d\vec{A} = \int^b_a \frac{\mu_0 N_2 i_2 h}{2\pi r} dr = \frac{\mu_0 N i_t h}{2\pi} ln(\frac{b}{a})4. Plugging this into the equation for EMF_t, we can solve for the mutual inductance:N_s \Phi_{B,1} = M i_2 \Rightarrow M = \frac{N_s N_t \mu_0 h}{2\pi} ln(\frac{b}{a})

Related to Mutual inductance of a solenoid wrapped around part of a toroid

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a measure of the ability of two circuits to induce a voltage in each other. It is the property of a circuit that allows it to generate an electromotive force in another circuit through a changing magnetic field.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated by taking the product of the number of turns in the two circuits, the permeability of the medium between the circuits, and the area of the overlapping region between the two circuits.

3. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet consisting of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylindrical core. It is often used in electronic devices to create a controlled magnetic field.

4. What is a toroid?

A toroid is a doughnut-shaped object with a circular cross-section. It is often used in electrical circuits to create a circular magnetic field due to its symmetry and ability to minimize energy loss.

5. How does mutual inductance of a solenoid on a toroid differ from that of other configurations?

Mutual inductance of a solenoid wrapped around part of a toroid is unique because the circular magnetic field created by the toroid enhances the magnetic field produced by the solenoid. This leads to a higher mutual inductance compared to other configurations, making it a more efficient way to transfer energy between two circuits.