Mutual inductance between square and twin-lead.

In summary, the question is asking for the coefficient of mutual inductance between a twin lead and square circuit, as well as the interaction energy and force between the two. To calculate the coefficient of mutual inductance, the flux of B produced by the wires must be divided by the current. It is necessary to determine the total field produced by each wire in the region where the square circuit is located. The direction and magnitude of the field will determine the resulting sign and direction of the current. Calculating the interaction energy and force is also necessary.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

Find the coefficient of mutual inductance between the twin lead and square circuit if they're being circulated by currents I1 and I2 respectively. Also find the interaction energy and force between the two. See image

[PLAIN]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1277/induct.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to calculate the flux of B produced by the two wires on the area demarcated by the square circuit and divide by I1 to get the inductance, but my question is, what is the total field (vector sum of the fields) produced by each of the wires in the region where the square circuit is?. Been drawing the field crosses and dots and it looks like it should be a subtraction between the two, am I correct in this assumption, or should they be added? Does it matter which one I subtract from the other?

I guess the magnitude of either one will determine what will be the resulting sign (into or out of the square), which will determine the direction of the current?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, how do I calculate the interaction energy and force?Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Related to Mutual inductance between square and twin-lead.

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is the phenomenon where the changing magnetic field of one circuit induces a voltage in a nearby circuit. It is a measure of the ability of two circuits to influence each other.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated by taking the ratio of the induced voltage in the secondary circuit to the rate of change of current in the primary circuit. It is measured in units of henries (H).

3. What is the relationship between mutual inductance and distance between circuits?

The strength of mutual inductance decreases as the distance between the two circuits increases. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a weaker induction effect.

4. How does the shape of the circuits affect mutual inductance?

The shape of the circuits can affect mutual inductance, as it determines how much of the magnetic field from one circuit will intersect with the other. For example, a square circuit will have a higher mutual inductance with a nearby square circuit compared to a linear circuit.

5. Is mutual inductance between square and twin-lead affected by the orientation of the circuits?

Yes, the orientation of the circuits can affect mutual inductance. For square and twin-lead circuits, a parallel orientation will result in a higher mutual inductance compared to a perpendicular orientation, where the magnetic field lines are less likely to intersect.