Must read books for aspiring Physicist

In summary, some recommended "must reads" for someone looking to study physics in college include "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Gravity" by George Gamow, "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov, and "Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman" by James Gleick. These books offer a mix of introductory concepts, historical context, and personal insights from renowned physicists, making them valuable resources for any aspiring physicist.
tasman2010
I am a Senior in high school and am looking to study physics in college. I have read a few Stephen hawkings books: Theory of Everything, Universe in a Nutshell, A Brief History of Time. I am reading The Elegant Universe and own Fabric of the Cosmos and The God Theory but haven't started them yet. Any other "must reads"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you must read "Blackholes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne. It is an excellent book.

The Feynman Lectures is a pretty good read.

Qualitative:
You Must be Joking Mr. Feynman!
An Introduction to the Philosophy of Physics: Locality, Fields, Energy, and Mass
Black Holes and Time Warps

A little Quantitative(Algebra,Trigonometry, A little Calculus)
Physics for Scientists & Engineers-Tipler
The Feynman Lectures on Physics-Feynman?
Introduction to Mechanics-Kleppner

More Quantitative(Single Variable Calculus, Multivariate Calculus)
Mechanics-Goldstein
Introduction to Electromagnetism-Griffiths

Likes Sadman Sakib
Pinu7 said:
More Quantitative(Single Variable Calculus, Multivariate Calculus)
Mechanics-Goldstein
Introduction to Electromagnetism-Griffiths

These books might be above his level right now.

thrill3rnit3 said:
These books might be above his level right now.

Which is why I put it under more quantitative. He could possibly study off them in a year or two.EDIT: Or now, depending how "aspiring" he is. A lot of high schoolers now are looking through higher than school-standard texts.

tasman2010 said:
I am a Senior in high school and am looking to study physics in college. I have read a few Stephen hawkings books: Theory of Everything, Universe in a Nutshell, A Brief History of Time. I am reading The Elegant Universe and own Fabric of the Cosmos and The God Theory but haven't started them yet. Any other "must reads"?

I myself don't enjoy Universe in a Nutshell by Hawking. His books are very pretty with the pictures, but I feel they stay so surface level, that you don't really get anything from them. That is my opinion though. I feel like if you read the books I list below, you will come out with something substantial and tangible, whereas Hawking just gives a bunch of eye and physics candy. I have never understood the stranglehold his books have. I have the same opinion of Brian Greene's books. Although I know he's very capable, he just strikes me as a car salesman who his selling a scientific theory, which has continued to bumble along for year after year, producing no real physics (in my opinion). String theory to my knowledge, has produced a ton of mathematics, but has no physical predictions that are correct and there isn't even a cohesive effort or theory. I think of it as sort of a popular fringe theory at this point, because although it may be useful in the future, I think there is better physics to be done right now.

The few books I recommend are:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691125759/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Richard Feynman
The best introduction to QED and quantum behavior out there, and it doesn't require higher mathematics.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465023924/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Richard Feynman
These six pieces are some of Feynman's more elementary material from his famous Lectures on Physics.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486425630/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by George Gamow
A very good tour of the theories of gravity, from Newton to Einstein. Anything by Gamow is good, so look him up. He wrote Thirty Years that Shook Physics, which I've been wanting to read myself.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0880292512/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Isaac Asimov
A lesser known book than Feynman's Lectures on Physics, this is from the author who wrote I, Robot, but this book is not fiction. It is a fantastic introduction to physics, all the way from mechanics, electricity and magnetism, to quantum physics. It does not require higher mathematics to read it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1400032954/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by James Gleick
You have to know some history to understand science, so why not start with the man who set modern day physics and mathematics into motion? This probably isn't the most comprehensive biography in terms information, but the story that Gleick presents is very readable and investigative.

Actually, the four authors above have written several books on physics and science, which are some of the best out there. Gleick wrote a great book on chaos, a biography of Feynman, Gamow wrote many books, including the fun Mr. Tompkins books, Asimov wrote a New Guide to Science (a huge tome on science), and Feynman of course has his books which are basically collections of stories throughout his life, both scientific and personal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman (I know it was already said but I figured i'd just second it and give the correct title)

Related to Must read books for aspiring Physicist

What are some must-read books for aspiring physicists?

Some commonly recommended books for aspiring physicists include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky, and "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner.

Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to understand these books?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is certainly helpful for understanding physics, many of these books are written in a way that is accessible to readers with various levels of mathematical knowledge. However, it is still recommended to have at least a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra.

Are there any books specifically geared towards high school students interested in physics?

Yes, there are several books that are written specifically for high school students interested in physics, such as "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman, "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli, and "The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection, 250 Milestones in the History of Physics" by Clifford Pickover.

Are there any books that focus on a specific area of physics?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific areas of physics, such as "The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll for particle physics, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene for cosmology, and "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne for general relativity.

Can reading these books replace a formal physics education?

No, while reading these books can certainly enhance your understanding of physics, they cannot replace a formal physics education. These books are meant to supplement your learning and provide a deeper understanding of the subject, but they cannot provide the hands-on experience and guidance that a formal education can offer.