Musical Scales with Consonance

• Music
  • Thread starter gatztopher
  • Start date
In summary, the pentatonic scale has the most consonance because it contains all the harmonic notes and the variance doesn't add up as you get higher.
gatztopher
I'm making a story that involves creatures that speak a language which is base-something. Maybe binary, maybe hexidecimal, probably something else. Only, instead of speaking "one zero zero zero one" they would have musical notes. So imagine a random arrangement of your fav musical scale, where each note corresponds to a number.

My question is this... what musical scale has the most consonance? If these notes are going to be randomly arranged, they have to sound good in *any* order. I was thinking of using a pentatonic scale (which would mean a quinary language), because I heard it's particularly blessed with consonance. Where did I hear this? Someone made a random music machine, with hamsters and a pentatonic scale. http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/eceprojectsland/STUDENTPROJ/2002to2003/lil2/

Quinary would be a really slow language though, even if spoken really quickly. Are there any scales with the same or better consonance but more notes (in the same octive)?

Comments, solutions, all are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Well the ultimate one for you would be the C major arpeggio for simplicity, but, it's still only five notes.

The problem with anything more than that is you start to introduce dissonance. So you may just want to consider using all notes (12) to give you a wide range and use the differences in sound to express emotion (in much the same way that a major chord is seen as happy and a minor sad, or something along those lines).

I'd say pentatonic.

If you want to analyze consonance, look at the harmonic series (music version, not mathematical)

If you strike a fundamental note, the harmonic series will also ring, and the higher up in the harmonic series you get, the more faint the harmonics get. So it stands to reason that the harmonics closer to the fundamental are more harmonic with the fundamental.

If you convert these harmonics into their musical theoretical equivalents, you get:

1. the fundamental (say, C)
2. the octave (C)
3. the fifth (G)
4. the octave (C)
5. major third (E)
6. the fifth (G)

(note if you were to play these three notes: C E G, you would have a C chord. It's not coincidence that a good sounding chord contains notes from the harmonic series of the fundamental)

But you will also notice (looking at the wiki on harmonic series for music) that the variance is adding up as you get higher into the harmonic series.

This is because our musical scale does not respect the actual physics of frequency scaling, so we get this nasty thing called a syntonic comma (google it for a deeper explanation) and we can try to throw around this error and distribute it with tuning techniques like "equal temperament" tuning.

Related to Musical Scales with Consonance

1. What are musical scales with consonance?

Musical scales with consonance refer to a set of notes or tones that sound harmonious and pleasant when played together.

2. How are musical scales with consonance different from dissonant scales?

Musical scales with consonance are characterized by intervals between notes that are considered to be pleasing to the ear, while dissonant scales have intervals that sound jarring or unresolved.

3. What is the importance of consonance in music?

Consonance plays a crucial role in creating a sense of harmony and balance in music. It allows for the creation of melodies and chords that are pleasing to the listener's ear.

4. Do all cultures use the same musical scales with consonance?

No, different cultures have developed their own musical scales with consonance based on their traditional music and cultural influences. For example, Western music commonly uses major and minor scales, while Indian classical music uses ragas.

5. Can consonance be measured scientifically?

Yes, there are methods for measuring the level of consonance in a musical scale, such as using mathematical ratios to determine the intervals between notes. However, the perception of consonance is also subjective, as it can vary from person to person.