Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Music taste in MHB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
Good afternoon everyone!

What are your general tastes in music? I am very fond of classical, rock and roll, some electronic (nothing too specific, such as trance, house or dubstep) and instrumental music. I figure this is a good opportunity for us all to share excellent suggestions and find things in common. :D

Cheers.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I like a wide variety of music. Classical, jazz, metal, bluegrass, classic rock, rap...

I would have to say my favorite group is Rush. I bought my first Rush album in 1977, "A Farewell To Kings" and I have been hooked ever since.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
@Fantini - Will post back with my own contributions but have to say for now that the name "Smetana" sounds very strange to me at first because in Russian it means "sour cream" (сметана). That said, I like the piece Fantini. :)

@MarkFL - I've heard good things about Rush but never have given them a listen. What would you suggest starting with?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
While it is not their first album, I would recommend one of their earlier works first, the album Hemispheres, which I believe debuted in 1978. My favorite track from that album is the instrumental La Villa Strangiato. (Mmm)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hey, two of my favorites! :cool:

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
Metal and Classic Rock (the current avatar is a representation of Electric Eye)

Favourite band at the moment is Judas Priest (Blood Red Skies) but it changes more often than the weather in an English autumn.

As for Rush I like Red Barchetta and YYZ the most

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Judas Priest, aka The Metal Gods, are also among my favorites. I especially enjoy their early works, such as Rocka Rolla.

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I think my username provides an indication of my likes. Although, incidentally, my favorite used to be Beethoven for a very long time. My favorite single piece of music is still Beethoven's Fifth Piano Concerto (Emperor). You will not find its equal for majesty and poise. But as for composers as a whole, my favorite is now Bach. Bach appeals to the entire person, especially including the mind. He is cerebral, but I would argue he also appeals to the senses. But the fact that he appeals so strongly to the mind is part of what attracts me to him. The reason I don't like rock-and-roll is that it doesn't appeal to the mind - only to the body. Rock-and-roll, for that reason, seems less than human to me. I've recently started to like jazz, although I don't know a whole lot about it. I'm gradually starting to learn names. I am not a terribly eclectic music lover. I like classical, jazz, and celtic (or folk). And when it comes to classical, I generally avoid the "classical" music written in the 1960's when composers called each other up on the phone and said, "Hey, I bet I can write an uglier piece than you." Any classical piece written after the year 1900 is on trial, in my book. I do very much like Eric Whitacre, Morten Lauridsen, and Arvo Pärt. Aaron Copland has some good stuff as well, though I don't like all of it. Also, Samuel Barber has written some good things as well.

@Fantini: The Moldau is one of the greats, too. I'm a big fan of Dvorak and Brahms - their music has some similarities with Smetana.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Yeah it's beautiful, the third movement is stunning. :)
Glad you posted this. This first movement is beautiful but technically unimpressive. The third movement is extremely difficult to play and seems relatively unknown compared to the first.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
There are vidoes with better sound quality but ..

CB

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
I really enjoy Irish Rock, and more traditional Irish music.
~Dropkick Murphy's
~Flogging Molly----Especially "If I Ever Leave This World Alive"
~Dubliners
~Young Dubliners
~Mumford and Son's

I also enjoy electronic music and I make some of my own.
~deadmau5
~Skrillex
~Kaskade
~David Guetta

I also enjoy Jazz. I am a bassist and I have played jazz for 5 years. I also have played bass classically for 9 1/2 years.

American Rock is great...
~CCR
~Rush
~E.L.O.
~Lynerd Skynerd
~Aerosmith
~Led Zepplin
~REO Speedwagon
~David Mathews Band
~Five For Fighting
I have a very diverse taste in this category.

As you can see I have a very wide ranging taste in musical styles. I am not too picky, but for the most part Country Music is hated by me...

pickslides

Feb 1, 2012

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Lately The Veronicas and Evanescence. Lots and lots of Evanescence. (Amy Lee (Kiss) )

-Dan

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I listen to whatever is playing. I do too much math to have the time to learn who is playing.

SuperSonic4

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
I've been listening to Halestorm recently (on youtube because I'm poor). (Lzzy Hale (Inlove) )
Love Bites (but so do I)

According to last fm (because my memory is atrocious) the top 5 artists I've played over the last month are

1. Judas Priest (156)
  2. Iron Maiden (106)
  3. Rammstein (68)
  4. Pink Floyd (66)
  5. Saxon (64)

ADARSH

Apr 3, 2012
huh soo........

This is what's on my playlist while I am typing.....
  • Winds of Change - Scorpions
  • New Kid in Town - Eagles
  • Against all Odds - Phil Collins
  • Aftermath - Van Vilder
  • Hey there Delilah
  • All of my love - Led Zep........ (Music) Suggestions welcome anytime :D

soroban

Feb 2, 2012

I too love Pachelbel's Canon in D, performed by almost anyone.
The Canadian Brass has a humorous version of it
(based on the repetitive, boring part for the tuba).

Recently I ran across some string quartets
that combine classical music with comedy.

They are not to everyone's taste,
but I enjoy them immensely.

My two favorite quartets are:
The Mozart Group and PaGAGnini.

Do a search.
I think you'll like them.

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
Prelude In D Major From Cello Suite Nr. I Bwv 1007 by Johann Sebastian Bach
It is beautiful.

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Celtic Woman 1st DVD, 2nd DVD, and Christmas DVD.

Too many cast changes for third DVD. I didn't watch it.

-Dan

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012

I too love Pachelbel's Canon in D, performed by almost anyone.
The Canadian Brass has a humorous version of it
(based on the repetitive, boring part for the tuba).

Recently I ran across some string quartets
that combine classical music with comedy.

They are not to everyone's taste,
but I enjoy them immensely.

My two favorite quartets are:
The Mozart Group and PaGAGnini.

Do a search.
I think you'll like them.
an unusual version of the canon in d major:

Brian Eno: Three Variations on the Canon in D Major by Johann Pachelbel (I: Fullness of Wind) - YouTube

in it the canon gradually slows to a crawl, but the instruments in different registers slow at different speeds so that the different parts go very quickly "out of synch" with each other. the effect is rather like a musical version of an exploded view of a mechanical object, such as an engine.

another "unusual" version, arranged for ukelele:

Pachelbel's Canon in D (ukulele, complete version, with tabs) - YouTube

personally, i like some "strange stuff" like this piece by michael brook and nusrat fateh ali khan (may he find peace among the faithful), "sweet pain":

Sweet Pain - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Michael Brook - Night Songs - YouTube

the main refrain is:

ni saiyon asaan naina dey aakhay lagey (my transliteration may be off), which roughly translates to:

"friends, my eyes surrendered to what they saw"

(the context is the sight of a spellbindingly beautiful woman).

Status
Not open for further replies.