Music & Math: Lectures & Textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between music and mathematics, and the possibility of finding lectures or textbooks on the subject. The speaker expresses doubt about the connection between the two, but acknowledges the mathematical aspects of music. They also mention the concept of the golden ratio and how it can be seen in various forms of art.
grantwilliams
I have heard that music is very mathematical and was wondering if there is a place I could watch lectures on a topic like this? Or maybe a textbook I could read through? Thanks for any help!

Science news on Phys.org
great wikilink h2bro, i didnt think wiki had anything on it.. sort of related to the OP topic, how is it that someone can look at a painting, architecture or whatewver and say, yup, the golden ratio is being used here. i think i understand what the golden ratio is (simply that a+b:a = a:b that is if a>b) ? but how do people look at something , such as this painting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pentagram_and_human_body_(Agrippa).jpg

...and see the golden ratio? Please be dumbed down specific lol because I am not seeing it , thanks!

grantwilliams said:
I have heard that music is very mathematical and was wondering if there is a place I could watch lectures on a topic like this? Or maybe a textbook I could read through? Thanks for any help!

That's what they say, but I don't believe it. Some of the best musicians I know can't balance a checkbook.

Music is related to the harmonic series and that is mathematical. You can look that up. But real musicians don't care about that.

Related to Music & Math: Lectures & Textbooks

1. How are music and math related?

Music and math are closely related because music is essentially a form of organized sound, and math is the study of patterns and relationships. Many aspects of music, such as rhythm, harmony, and melody, can be described and understood using mathematical concepts.

2. Can learning about music and math improve my musical skills?

Yes, understanding the mathematical principles behind music can definitely help improve your musical skills. For example, knowledge of fractions and ratios is essential for understanding rhythm and time signatures, while understanding intervals and scales can improve your ability to create melodies.

3. Are there any specific areas of math that are particularly important for understanding music?

There are several areas of math that are particularly relevant to music, including geometry, algebra, and calculus. Geometry is important for understanding the mathematical relationships between different musical notes and chords, while algebra can help with understanding musical scales and intervals. Calculus is also useful for analyzing complex musical structures and patterns.

4. How can I apply math to my music compositions?

There are many ways to apply math to your music compositions. For example, you can use mathematical concepts to create interesting rhythms, harmonies, and melodies. You can also use mathematical formulas to analyze and improve your compositions, or to experiment with different musical structures and patterns.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks or lectures for learning about music and math?

Yes, there are many excellent textbooks and lectures available for learning about music and math. Some popular books include "Music and Mathematics: From Pythagoras to Fractals" by John Fauvel and "The Math Behind the Music" by Leon Harkleroad. Online resources such as Coursera and edX also offer courses on music and math taught by experts in the field.