Music and Focus: The Relationship Between Music and Productivity

• Thread starter Merrick D
  • Start date
In summary, research has shown that music can have a positive impact on productivity. Studies have found that listening to music can enhance mood, reduce stress and anxiety, and increase focus and concentration. The type of music also plays a role, as instrumental music without lyrics is found to be most effective for improving productivity. However, it is important to note that the relationship between music and productivity may vary for each individual, and it is important to find what works best for you.
Merrick D
I'm not sure why, but listening to music increases my focus that I cannot achieve in class. For reading assignments, I like mellow songs. While working on intense calculus/physics problems, I need some dubstep, rap, or rock.

Anyone else find that music helps them focus? Or perhaps a psychology major knows why it happens? Thanks for any contributions to the forum, I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Merrick,

There have been many threads on this in General Discussion. Unfortunately this is "Member introductions only - No questions". Perhaps you could search on all of those other threads.