Muon Lifespan: How We Measure Decaying of Muons

• Thread starter medwatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Muons
In summary, scientists discovered that muons have a short lifetime and that by measuring the speed and time interval of the two events of muon creation and decay they were able to find their proper life span.
medwatt
Hello,
I know that muons have an average lifespan of 2.2µs. What I'm curious about is given that we do not yet know of relativity and time dilation how were they able to know that in a frame at rest with the muons that's their life span. Or is it that we only knew of their actual life span after the advent of relativity, that by measuring the speed and the time interval of the two events of muon creation and decay we were able to find their proper life span ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to produce slow muons, so their rest half life can be effectively measured.

The rest of your comment is unintellible. A half life does not determine the life span of an individual muon; the life expectancy of a human population does not determine the life span of an individual.

medwatt said:
Hello,
I know that muons have an average lifespan of 2.2µs. What I'm curious about is given that we do not yet know of relativity and time dilation how were they able to know that in a frame at rest with the muons that's their life span.

Easy... We measure the lifespan of slowly moving muons.

We point to muons as an example of relativity at work because of three happy coincidences:
1) It's easy to produce slow-moving muons so we know what their lifetime is when they aren't moving at relativistic velocities.
2) We also have an abundant source of high-energy relativistic muons from cosmic rays to compare with.
3) The muon lifetime is short enough that we can observe them decay. If they lived much longer, they wouldn't need time dilation to live long enough to reach the ground.

medwatt said:
Hello,
I know that muons have an average lifespan of 2.2µs. What I'm curious about is given that we do not yet know of relativity and time dilation how were they able to know that in a frame at rest with the muons that's their life span. Or is it that we only knew of their actual life span after the advent of relativity, that by measuring the speed and the time interval of the two events of muon creation and decay we were able to find their proper life span ?
I think what you are asking is how scientists explained the long life of muons entering the atmosphere prior to the theory of relativity but since muons were not discovered until 1936, the issue never came up.

Hello,

Thank you for your question about the measurement of muon lifespans. I can explain that the measurement of muon lifespans is a result of various experiments and observations conducted over many years.

Firstly, the concept of relativity and time dilation was proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. However, the discovery of muons and their short lifespans was made much earlier, in the 1930s. Scientists were able to observe and measure the decay of muons through various detection methods, such as cloud chambers and bubble chambers.

Through these experiments, scientists were able to measure the time it took for muons to decay and determined an average lifespan of 2.2µs. This measurement was consistent with the predictions of relativity and time dilation, which were later confirmed through more precise experiments.

Therefore, it is not that we knew the muon lifespan before the advent of relativity, but rather that the discovery of muons and their decay played a role in further confirming the concepts of relativity and time dilation.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Science is constantly evolving and our understanding of the universe continues to deepen through ongoing research and experiments. Thank you for your interest in muons and their lifespans.

Related to Muon Lifespan: How We Measure Decaying of Muons

1. What is a muon?

A muon is a subatomic particle that is similar to an electron, but with a much larger mass. It is produced when cosmic rays from space collide with particles in Earth's atmosphere.

2. How do we measure the decaying of muons?

We use a process called muon decay spectroscopy, which involves measuring the number of muons that decay over a period of time. This data is then used to calculate the average lifespan of muons.

3. Why is it important to study the lifespan of muons?

The lifespan of muons can provide insights into fundamental physics and the behavior of subatomic particles. It can also help us understand the processes that occur in our universe, such as the decay of stars.

4. How do we know that muons decay?

Muon decay has been observed and confirmed through various experiments, including the use of particle accelerators and detectors. The decay rate has also been found to be consistent with theoretical predictions.

5. Can the lifespan of muons change?

According to the theory of relativity, the lifespan of muons can change depending on their speed and the effects of time dilation. However, the average lifespan of muons remains constant regardless of their velocity.