Multivariable limit does it exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses a limit problem where the limit does not exist, but Wolfram|Alpha claims it does exist and is equal to zero. The use of polar coordinates leads to a limit of 0, but further investigation is needed to determine if the limit is 0 for all values of theta. It is then mentioned that approaching the origin along different paths can lead to different limits, proving that the limit does not exist. The conversation ends with a question about how to determine which paths to approach the origin to find different limits.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I am working with a limit problem that I get that it does not exist but W|A says it does exist and it is equal to zero...
\(\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y)->(0,0)} \frac{xy^4}{x^2+x^8}\)
well I change to polar and get after simplify
\(\displaystyle \lim_{r->0}\frac{r^3\cos(\theta)sin^4(\theta)}{\cos^2( \theta)+r^6\sin^8(\theta)}\)
which say if \(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\) we Will get \(\displaystyle \frac{0}{0}\) so it does not exist? I am wrong or?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
In higher dimensions the formal definition of a limit is much that same as in the one-dimensonal case:

We say that $f:\Bbb R^n \to \Bbb R$ has the limit:

$\displaystyle \lim_{\mathbf{x} \to \mathbf{a}} f(\mathbf{x}) = L$

if, for ANY $\epsilon > 0$, there exists a $\delta > 0$ such that:

$0 < |\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a}| < \delta$ implies that $|f(\mathbf{x}) - L| < \epsilon$.

What this means geometrically for $\Bbb R^2$ is on any suitably small disk centered at the point $(x_0,y_0)$, the value of $f(x,y)$ should stay within $\epsilon$ of $L$.

Now for the particular function you have posted here, we can consider a disk centered at the origin (the inside of a circle).

But clearly, along the $y$-axis, $f(x,y)$ is unbounded, so no such $L$ can exist.

Wolfram|Alpha cannot always be trusted.

Deveno said:
Wolfram|Alpha cannot always be trusted.

While showing that a multivariate limit exists can be hard in the general case (as it is path-dependent in the limit variable, and there are infinitely many such paths beyond one-dimensional space), it should be easy (in a computational sense) to show that a multivariate limit does not exist, though, by exhibiting two distinct paths which lead to different limits, right?

I think W|A has no concept of multivariate limits and probably just computed limits one dimension after the other, I just checked and Mathematica seems to have no built-in routine for multivariate limits either. Mathematica manages to churn out "Indeterminate", but it's probably luck more than anything else.​

Last edited:
Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
I am working with a limit problem that I get that it does not exist but W|A says it does exist and it is equal to zero...
\(\displaystyle \lim_{r->0}\frac{r^3\cos(\theta)sin^4(\theta)}{\cos^2( \theta)+r^6\sin^8(\theta)}\)
which say if \(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}\) we Will get \(\displaystyle \frac{0}{0}\) so it does not exist? I am wrong or?

Regards,

The use of polar coordinates leads to the limit...

$\displaystyle \lim_{ r \rightarrow 0} \frac{r^{3}\ \cos \theta\ \sin^{4} \theta}{\cos^{2} \theta + r^{6}\ \sin^{8} \theta}\ (1)$

... and it is evident that if $\displaystyle \cos \theta=0 \implies \theta = \pm \frac{\pi}{2}$ the numerator of (1) is 0 no matter which ir r> 0 so that the limit is 0. But we can conclude that the limit is 0 only we demonstrate that, no matter which is $\theta$, the limit is 0... what we will try to do in next post...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The use of polar coordinates leads to the limit...

$\displaystyle \lim_{ r \rightarrow 0} \frac{r^{3}\ \cos \theta\ \sin^{4} \theta}{\cos^{2} \theta + r^{6}\ \sin^{8} \theta}\ (1)$

... and it is evident that if $\displaystyle \cos \theta=0 \implies \theta = \pm \frac{\pi}{2}$ the numerator of (1) is 0 no matter which ir r> 0 so that the limit is 0. But we can conclude that the limit is 0 only we demonstrate that, no matter which is $\theta$, the limit is 0... what we will try to do in next post...

Now we suppose that $\displaystyle \cos \theta = a \ne 0$... also in that case the limit is 0... but also in this case we can't conclude anything because we supposed $\theta$ to be constant but it can be $\theta= \theta (r)$ so that more investigation has to be done... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Petrus said:
Hello MHB,

Regards,
If you approach the origin along the $x$-axis then you get the limit $0$. But if you approach the origin along the curve $y = x^{1/4}$ then the limit is \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\frac{x^2}{x^2+x^8} = \lim_{x\to0}\frac1{1+x^6} = 1\). Since you can get different values by approaching the origin in different ways, it follows that \(\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y)\to(0,0)} \frac{xy^4}{x^2+x^8}\) does not exist.

Opalg said:
If you approach the origin along the $x$-axis then you get the limit $0$. But if you approach the origin along the curve $y = x^{1/4}$ then the limit is \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}\frac{x^2}{x^2+x^8} = \lim_{x\to0}\frac1{1+x^6} = 1\). Since you can get different values by approaching the origin in different ways, it follows that \(\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y)\to(0,0)} \frac{xy^4}{x^2+x^8}\) does not exist.
This is one of those reason I always try solve in polar.. I mean how can I know along the curve \(\displaystyle y=x^{1/4}\) I Will get a diffrent limit? I can't see that with My eyes, and try plenty curve Dont feel correct to try guess some curve and hopefully find a limit that is diffrent from the other..? May I ask how could you notice \(\displaystyle y=x^{1/4}\) Will give you diffrent answer.

Regards,

Petrus said:
Opalg said:

This is one of those reason I always try solve in polar.. I mean how can I know along the curve \(\displaystyle y=x^{1/4}\) I Will get a diffrent limit? I can't see that with My eyes, and try plenty curve Dont feel correct to try guess some curve and hopefully find a limit that is diffrent from the other..? May I ask how could you notice \(\displaystyle y=x^{1/4}\) Will give you diffrent answer.
The danger in using only the polar method is that it is possible for all the radial limits to exist and to be equal, and yet for the limit not to exist.

That is what happens in this example. The radial limits are all zero (except for the limit along the $y$-axis, which does not exist because the function is not defined there). So to see whether there might be some different answer if you approach the origin in some other way, you need to think about a situation in which $ \dfrac{xy^4}{x^2+x^8}$ stays away from $0$ even when $x$ and $y$ are very small. For that to happen, the numerator and denominator of the fraction must stay approximately the same size, in order to make their quotient nonzero. In the denominator, if $x$ is small then $x^8$ will be much smaller than $x^2$, so the denominator is approximately $x^2$. If the numerator is to be approximately equal to the denominator then we must have $xy^4 \approx x^2$. Cancelling an $x$ on both sides leads you to look at what happens when $x\approx y^4$. That is how I came to investigate what happens along the curve $y=x^{1/4}$.

Related to Multivariable limit does it exist?

1. What is a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as multiple variables approach a certain point. It is used to determine if a function is continuous at a given point.

2. How do you determine if a multivariable limit exists?

To determine if a multivariable limit exists, you must first evaluate the limit along different paths approaching the given point. If the limit is the same for all paths, then the multivariable limit exists. However, if the limit is different for different paths, the multivariable limit does not exist.

3. What does it mean if a multivariable limit does not exist?

If a multivariable limit does not exist, it means that the function is not continuous at the given point. This could be due to a discontinuity in the function or an asymptote.

4. What are the different types of multivariable limits?

The different types of multivariable limits include two-sided limits, one-sided limits, and directional limits. Two-sided limits approach the given point from both sides, one-sided limits approach from either the left or right side, and directional limits approach from a specific direction.

5. How is a multivariable limit used in real-life applications?

Multivariable limits are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as the behavior of fluids, population growth, and market trends.