Multivariable function that is injective?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function for a set of real numbers that maps to a single number, with the goal of optimizing time complexity in a computational context. One suggestion is to use injective functions, which can be messy and require infinite precision. Another suggestion is to use a function that maps rational numbers to rational numbers. The conversation also mentions the idea of using strings as labels, but this may not be practical due to increased processing requirements.
NotASmurf
Hey all, is it possible to find a function that for $$ a,b,c.. \in \mathbb{R} $$ $$ y= f(a,b,c,..) , \hspace{5mm} y= \rho , \rho \in \mathbb{R} \hspace{2mm} for \hspace{2mm} only \hspace{2mm} 1 \hspace{2mm} set \hspace{2mm} of \hspace{2mm} a,b,c.. $$
Any help appreciated

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What's your domain and codomain?

I'm fine with any that isn't completely trivial (if there are any trivial solutions), will try adapt to whatever I can get, basically this is for a program that has a graph, and a vertex has to have a single number input as a function of the labels of the vertices already in the path. Inputing the entire path so far will take up way too many resources.

There are injective functions ##g: \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}##, you can use f(a,b,c)=g(a,g(b,c)). Those functions are messy, and need infinite precision to be truly injective, I'm quite sure you don't want to use them.

More context would help, but I guess there is an easier solution. Why can't you just use the set of three numbers as label? Expressed as string or whatever if the data format is an issue.

Likes NotASmurf
Don't want to pass entire label as worsens the time complexity of the program by at the minimum of increasing the power by 1. /: Could you please list an example of one of the functions which satisfies $$ \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} $$ ?

The sets ##\mathbb R^m## and ##\mathbb R^n## have the same cardinality for all ##m,n##

Here is an example
Your label will have to be longer than the length of a single coordinate, in a suitable format. If you have N possible values for the single coordinate, you need N3 possible labels.

I don't see how concatenating strings would increase the time complexity of anything.

Maybe you're interested in a function ##\mathbb{Q}\times \mathbb{Q}\rightarrow \mathbb{Q}## instead? That is much easier to give, but I'm sure it's not going to be useful in a computational context.

In any case, given ##m/n## and ##m'/n'## in reduced form (meaning that ##m## and ##n## have no common divisors and ##n>0## and likewise for ##m'## and ##n'##), you can send this to ##2^m 3^n 5^{m'} 7^{n'}##.

mfb said:
I don't see how concatenating strings would increase the time complexity of anything.

The processing required for what those strings will be processed as it will

micromass said:
Maybe you're interested in a function ##\mathbb{Q}\times \mathbb{Q}\rightarrow \mathbb{Q}## instead? That is much easier to give, but I'm sure it's not going to be useful in a computational context.

In any case, given ##m/n## and ##m'/n'## in reduced form (meaning that ##m## and ##n## have no common divisors and ##n>0## and likewise for ##m'## and ##n'##), you can send this to ##2^m 3^n 5^{m'} 7^{n'}##.
What's $$ m' $$ and $$n'$$?

NotASmurf said:
The processing required for what those strings will be processed as it will
It is linear in the number of vertices, which is as good as it can get.

m' and n' are the numerator and denominator of the second fraction.

Related to Multivariable function that is injective?

1. What is a multivariable function that is injective?

A multivariable function that is injective is a function that maps each unique input in a set of multiple variables to a unique output. This means that no two inputs will result in the same output.

2. How can you prove that a multivariable function is injective?

To prove that a multivariable function is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. If any horizontal line intersects the graph of the function more than once, then the function is not injective.

3. What is the difference between a multivariable function and a single variable function?

A single variable function has only one independent variable, while a multivariable function has more than one independent variable. This means that a multivariable function can take in multiple inputs and produce a corresponding output.

4. What are the applications of multivariable functions that are injective?

Multivariable functions that are injective are commonly used in mathematical models and equations to represent real-world phenomena. They are also used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving multiple variables.

5. Can a multivariable function be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a multivariable function can be both injective and surjective at the same time. This means that the function is one-to-one (every input has a unique output) and onto (every output has at least one corresponding input). This type of function is called a bijective function.