What is the Acceleration of an Electron in a Constant Electric Field?

In summary, the mass of an electron is 9.1x10^-31 kg and its charge is -1.6x10^-19 c. When an electron is in a constant electric field with an intensity of 5.10x10^2 N/C upwards, the acceleration of the electron can be calculated using the formula F = qE. According to the back, the acceleration is 9x10^13 m/s^2 downwards. This can be found by plugging in the values for q and E and using Newton's 2nd law, F = ma.
the mass of the electron is 9.1x10^-31 kg and its charge is -1.6x10^-19 c. Calculate the acceleration of an electron that is in a constant electrin field who intensity is 5.10x10^2 N/C upwards. (answer according to back: 9x10^13 m/s^2 (down))

thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you stuck? (Show your work.)

You'll need to know the definition of electric field and Newton's 2nd law.

i'm stuck on the acceleration part? how do i get it into the formula?
i know electric field = (kq) / r^2 and F = ma? thanks

3.14159265358979 said:
i know electric field = (kq) / r^2 and F = ma?
That formula is for the electric field of a point charge: you don't need it for this problem. In this problem, the electric field is given. What you do need to know is how much force will that field exert on the electron. The magnitude of the force is given by F = qE.

yes, of course! thanks i understand know...

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, it is how quickly an object's speed is increasing or decreasing.

How is acceleration of an electron measured?

The acceleration of an electron can be measured using various instruments such as an electron microscope or a particle accelerator. These instruments use electromagnetic fields to manipulate and measure the movement of electrons.

What factors affect the acceleration of an electron?

The acceleration of an electron can be affected by the strength of the electric and magnetic fields it is exposed to, as well as the mass and charge of the electron itself. Other factors such as external forces and collisions can also impact its acceleration.

Can the acceleration of an electron be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of an electron can be negative. This means that the electron is slowing down or changing direction, as acceleration is a vector quantity and can be in the opposite direction of an object's velocity.

What are some real-world applications of studying the acceleration of electrons?

Studying the acceleration of electrons is crucial in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and material science. It helps in understanding the behavior of electrons in different materials and how they can be manipulated for practical applications like transistors, computer chips, and communication devices.