Multivariable Calculus - chain rule on vectors

In summary, the conversation is about the use of the chain rule on vector valued functions in multivariable calculus. The speaker doubts the accuracy of a YouTube video explaining this concept and points out that differentiation should be done component-wise. They also mention the need to find better resources for learning fluid mechanics.
Nikitin
Hi! I do not understand the math used in the beginning of this video:

In example 1 (4 minutes in the video), why is it wrong to simply solve the problem like this:

[tex]\vec{V} = [x,-y] \Rightarrow \frac{d\vec{V}}{dt} = [\frac{dx}{dt},-\frac{dy}{dt}] = \vec{a} = [V_x,-V_y][/tex], where V_x and V_y are the velocity-components in the x and y directions, respectively.

I thought you'd only use the chain-rule on non-vector multivariable functions??

EDIT: I'm farily sure the guy did some mistakes.. did he not? Look at his work 5:00 minutes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you have not learned Calculus on vector valued functions? (It is typically introduced in "Calculus III" but there are whole books on the subject.) If (f(t), g(t), h(t)) is a (three dimensional) vector valued function of the variable t, then differentiation is defined "component-wise". That is, the derivative with respect to t is <df/dt, dg/dt, dh/dt>. That is precisely what is being done in your example (though I see NO use of the "chain rule" in what you give).

(I looked at the you-tube from 4:45 to 5:15 and saw no error or anything unusual.)

I've been through multivariable calculus, but they never talked much about vector-differentiation. It was kinda obvious that you just differentiate term by term. So I've never heard about using the chain-rule directly on a vector. Though I suppose there is nothing wrong in doing that.

Anyway, concerning the video, if you look closely at his calculations from 1:00 to 5:00, you will see that the guy uses the chain rule (wrongly) and ends up with: [tex] \vec{a} = \frac{d}{dt}(x*\vec{i}-y*\vec{j}) = [x,y][/tex] Which is obviously wrong. He does everything, including his use of the chain-rule, wrong...

Duno why I wasted those 10 minutes on that guy's videos. Need to find some decent lecture-videos on fluid mechanics.

Last edited:

Related to Multivariable Calculus - chain rule on vectors

1. What is the chain rule in multivariable calculus?

The chain rule in multivariable calculus is a mathematical concept that allows for the calculation of the derivative of a composite function. It is used when the output of one function is the input of another function. The chain rule helps us understand how small changes in one variable affect the overall output of a function with multiple variables.

2. How is the chain rule applied to vectors?

In multivariable calculus, vectors are used to represent functions with multiple variables. The chain rule can be applied to vectors by breaking down the vector into its components and using the chain rule to find the derivative of each component. Then, the derivatives of the components are combined to find the overall derivative of the vector function.

3. Why is the chain rule important in multivariable calculus?

The chain rule is important in multivariable calculus because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function with multiple variables. This is useful in many fields of science and engineering, as it helps us understand how small changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of a system.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to any function with multiple variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any function with multiple variables, as long as the function is differentiable. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at each point in its domain.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of the chain rule on vectors in multivariable calculus?

To improve your understanding of the chain rule on vectors in multivariable calculus, you can practice solving problems and working through examples. There are also many online resources and textbooks available that provide practice problems and explanations. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending study groups can also be beneficial in improving your understanding of the chain rule on vectors.