Multivariable Calc Books: Similar to Spivak's Calculus?

In summary, multivariable calculus books that are similar to Spivak's Calculus focus on building a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of the subject. They often include challenging problems and proofs, along with clear and concise explanations, making them suitable for students who want a deeper understanding of the material. These books may also cover topics such as vector calculus, differential forms, and theorems of multivariable calculus. Examples of books that are similar to Spivak's Calculus include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba.
DarrenM
Hello there,

I'm currently enrolled in Calculus II (Integral Calculus), and I am slowly working my way through Spivak's Calculus.

I intend to take Multivariable Calculus next semester. The course description is as follows:
Syllabus said:
This course includes the study of vectors, solid analytical geometry, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, line integrals, and applications.
Course Catalog said:
Real-valued functions of several variables, limits, continuity, differentials, directional derivatives, partial derivatives, chain rule, multiple integrals, applications.

I was wondering if there were any clearly recommended books, similar to Spivak, for the above-mentioned class/content. I've got a couple of calculus textbooks that include multivariable content, but I'm looking for something that takes a more rigorous approach as a supplement.

Also, since I'm here already, I'll be taking a Discrete Mathematics course with the following course description:
Introduction to discrete structures which are applicable to computer science. Topics include number bases, logic, sets, Boolean algebra, and elementary concepts of graph theory.
I would very much appreciate any suggestions in that direction as well. This is the required text https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534359450/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Sincere thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DarrenM said:
Also, since I'm here already, I'll be taking a Discrete Mathematics course with the following course description:

I would very much appreciate any suggestions in that direction as well. This is the required text https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534359450/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Sincere thanks for any help.
When I studied Number Theory, back in the 80s, we used the text "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by Niven and Zuckerman https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471625469/?tag=pfamazon01-20 --can you believe it, I still have the book. I can't tell you whether number theory and discrete math are exactly the same thing, but they are certainly related. I fell asleep in that class a lot. Basically, back then number theory had one application: Making soundproof rooms. However it is said that number theory is the queen of mathematics.

From my reading of Wikipedia, it looks like Discrete Mathematics covers a lot of ground of which, Number Theory is a small piece which also interacts with Continuous Mathematics. Also I see that number theory has application in cryptography (factoring of large numbers). Do you know what you'll be studying in your class? That might give us a better idea of which books to recommend. Perhaps a better recommendation would be Godel Escher Bach: An Eternal Golden Braidhttp://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...o_28BA&usg=AFQjCNF5uApwP33mpSyy7w5YpA5UT2FnBw by Douglas Hofstadter. EDIT: Ignore the book on Number Theory, I just read your quoted section. Definitely get Godel Escher Bach (one of the less expensive books you'll be buying).

Well, Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds is the likely suggestion. :biggrin:

However, the theory behind calculus in R^n is usually written in differential forms and a bunch of other fancy math. This is how the aforementioned book is, how Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds is, how chapters 9 & 10 in baby Rudin are, etc.

They'll cover the same thing as your calc III class will, but in a very different way.

Wendell Fleming's "Functions of Several Variables" is pretty decent, but nowhere near as fun to read as Spivak. The exercises are kind of blah, too. Still worth a look to see if the style agrees with you.

If that one seems too elementary and you're feeling more ambitious, check out Loomis and Sternberg, "Advanced Calculus." That one will put hair on your chest. I think it's out of print, but the author has made it available as a PDF for free:

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~shlomo/

jbunniii said:
If that one seems too elementary and you're feeling more ambitious, check out Loomis and Sternberg, "Advanced Calculus." That one will put hair on your chest. I think it's out of print, but the author has made it available as a PDF for free:

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~shlomo/
This is such a great book!

This Dover book also seems pretty good, but isn't as comprehensive as the above: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486683362/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Related to Multivariable Calc Books: Similar to Spivak's Calculus?

1. What makes Spivak's Calculus a popular choice for multivariable calc books?

Spivak's Calculus is highly regarded for its rigorous and comprehensive approach to the subject. It covers a wide range of topics and provides clear explanations and proofs, making it a valuable resource for both beginners and advanced learners.

2. Are there any other multivariable calc books that are comparable to Spivak's?

Yes, there are several other books that are considered comparable to Spivak's Calculus. Some popular choices include "Calculus" by Michael Spivak (a more advanced version of Spivak's book), "Advanced Calculus" by Patrick M. Fitzpatrick, and "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba.

3. Is Spivak's Calculus suitable for self-study?

Yes, Spivak's Calculus is often recommended for self-study due to its clear explanations and thorough coverage of topics. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus before attempting to study multivariable calculus independently.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement Spivak's Calculus?

Yes, there are various online resources such as lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems that can supplement Spivak's Calculus. Some recommended resources include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Paul's Online Math Notes.

5. How can I determine if Spivak's Calculus is the right book for me?

The best way to determine if Spivak's Calculus is the right book for you is to take a look at its table of contents and read some sample chapters or sections. You can also ask for recommendations from other mathematicians or consult with a math teacher or tutor.