Prove the Equality of Perpendicular Lines in a Parallelogram

In summary, we have a parallelogram ABCD with a plane π passing through the diagonal AC. If DE is perpendicular to π and BF is perpendicular to π, we need to prove that BF is equal to DE. Through a series of steps, we can show that triangles ABF and CDE are congruent, which means they have equal sides. This proves that BF = DE.
xenogizmo
Hey everybody..
I got this space geometry question that had me stumped.. Please help me out.. Here goes:

ABCD is a parallelogram. The plane π was drawn passing through the diagonal AC.
If DE was perpendicular to π, BF was perpendicular to π.
Prove that BF = DE

please see the attached drawing

Attachments

• QUESTION.GIF
    QUESTION.GIF
    958 bytes · Views: 467
Mathematics news on Phys.org
are E and F on π?

yes, I guess they are.. since ED and BF are both perpendicular on π :confused: any help??

Well, what have you tried?

Hey I think I got it! :eek:
First draw the diagonal BD

DE and BF are both perpendicular to π
so DE and BF are parallel

This means that the angles BDE and FBD are equal.

And since ABCD is a parellogram, then AB and CD are parrallel.
so the angles BDC and DBA are equal

We then conclude that the angles CDE ad ABF are equal
(because we already proved that the bisects make equal angles)

in the triangles DCE and ABF
angle E=F=90 degrees
D = B proven
C = A 180-both angles

so the triangles are congruent

this means: ED/BF = CE/AF = CD/AB

and since ABCD is a parallelogram, then CD = AB

so DE/BF = CD/AB = 1/1

that concludes to DE = BF :cool:

Am I right here guys? :confused:
Sorry for the crappy solution but I know all the theorems in arab so it's hard for me to write in english because I don't knwo the exact terms. :biggrin:

Attachments

• QUESTION.GIF
    QUESTION.GIF
    1,020 bytes · Views: 428
Last edited:
:cool: I guess no newz is good news.. finally I can get this question off my back :rolleyes:

I'm not convinced that you've got it right. It's not clear how you show <CDE = <ABF. Sorry to put the question back on your back after all this time.

Try to look at the triangles DEM and BFM where M is the midpoint of AC.
You've shown that <BDE = <DBF.
And since M lies on AC, EM and FM are lines in the plane. Hence, <DEM =<BFM = 90.
Finally, DM = BM = 1/2(BD) since the diagonals intersect at their midpoints.
Thus, the triangles DEM and BFM are congruent; so DE = BF.

'Congruent' means identical in shape and size, while the term 'similar' is used for objects that are identical in shape. So, when 2 triangles have the same angles, they are similar, but if they also have an equal side, they become congruent.

Hope this helps.

I think this fills in the gap to first show that triangles ABF and CDE are similar.

Since AB || CD, and is each cut by AC, then <BAC = <DCA.
(Assuming that F and E are on AC, then <BAF=<DCE).

As noted by xenogizmo, <E=<F.

So, <ABF=<CDE.

Thus, triangle ABF is similar to triangle CDE.

1. What is space geometry?

Space geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of objects in three-dimensional space. It is also known as solid geometry and is essential for understanding the physical world around us.

2. Why is space geometry important?

Space geometry is important because it helps us understand and describe the shapes and structures of objects in our physical world. It is also essential for fields such as architecture, engineering, and astronomy.

3. What are some examples of space geometry in everyday life?

Some examples of space geometry in everyday life include measuring the volume of a box, finding the area of a room, and determining the angles of a pyramid. It is also used in design and construction, such as creating blueprints for buildings and bridges.

4. What are the basic principles of space geometry?

The basic principles of space geometry include points, lines, planes, angles, and geometric solids. Points are zero-dimensional objects, lines are one-dimensional objects, planes are two-dimensional objects, and geometric solids are three-dimensional objects. Angles are formed by two intersecting lines and have a measure of degrees.

5. How is space geometry related to other branches of mathematics?

Space geometry is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It provides a foundation for these subjects and is often used in solving mathematical problems in these fields. For example, trigonometry uses space geometry to calculate the sides and angles of triangles.